Schools Shut - Lets Go For A Walk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
As the boys school was shut today we decided at the last minute to go for a wander over the South Downs.

Heading out

DSCN1274.jpg

Heading up the lane from home

DSCN1276.jpg

we are heading towards the bottom of the big hill in the back ground which is called Cissbury Ring and is the site of Neolithic flint mines (you still find worked flint to this day) and an Iron Age Fort

DSCN1278.jpg

Looking back towards home

DSCN1280.jpg

one of the leccy pylons, the top section is covered in roosting Starlings, which until fairly recently were rare around here, now though the flocks have grown to a good size and every afternoon we are entertained with huge flocks of birds milling around the sky in huge black fluid formations

DSCN1281.jpg

looking towards Cissbury

DSCN1283.jpg

approaching heavy rain shower

DSCN1287.jpg

thankfully it passed us by and went up the coast

DSCN1290.jpg

this i didnt expect to see on the last day of November

DSCN1296.jpg

DSCN1298.jpg

anyone for a bonfire?, the result of some much needed hedge work on the Estate

DSCN1307.jpg

trail side snack, very nice they were too, bought a few back home as well

DSCN1309.jpg

one of the local Dew Ponds

DSCN1312.jpg

Lunch on the go, spicy CousCous in the Swedish and a cuppa on the go in the Crusader

DSCN1318.jpg

where we stopped for lunch, in the shelter of a small Yew wood, glad we stopped here for lunch, as it rained and the Yew trees kept the worst off of us, it was the only rain we encountered all day.

DSCN1336.jpg

Looking out towards the farm

DSCN1338.jpg

One of my sit trees, albeit a spring and summer one, it was a bit too windy and damp to sit under this today

DSCN1341.jpg

some of the other locals

DSCN1343.jpg

looking East, we walked up & along the big hill earlier in the day

DSCN1346.jpg

Guess which way the blows from?

DSCN1349.jpg

after this it was only about a mile to get home, we covered about 12Km and had a great time out and about, what with each others company and that of the Buzzards, Kestrels & Sparrow Hawks as well as the multitude of small birds and animals that were around us all day - wonderful.

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Looks like a cracking day out and such a change to see the kids enjoying being out in the fresh air instead of sat in front of the TV.

Some great pics and thanks for sharing them.

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
We did the same, sadly no pics to show but took the dog and the boys along the lower ridge that runs alongside the Malverns, did result though in some interesting questions like, ''daddy what day did the earth start turning'' - not happy with my answer of Tuesday, but hey ho, came back rosey cheeks and a great appetite! What ever the reasons for the strikes and differing opinions, I was glad to be able to spend a whle day with all three kids : )

Rich

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Another good day for the book of memories with the boys..:)

Cissbury Ring on a misty evening with failing winter light has an atmosphere which I shall long remember after stopping for a brew there once, on the way back East..

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
cheers chaps, was great fun being out and about today, but, as eldest said "ive learnt more out here today than i would have done at school", that makes it worthwhile.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Nice photos & glad you all had a great day.............................
What's the water situation like on the Downs ?..I've heard that the south of England is suffering from drought.& even if it were to have an 'average' rainful over winter, it won't be enough to cover the needs of either agriculture or the enviroment for the following year.............................In France, 80% of the country is in a state of drought & with no serious rain on the horizon.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice photos & glad you all had a great day.............................
What's the water situation like on the Downs ?..I've heard that the south of England is suffering from drought.& even if it were to have an 'average' rainful over winter, it won't be enough to cover the needs of either agriculture or the enviroment for the following year.............................In France, 80% of the country is in a state of drought & with no serious rain on the horizon.

Cheers mate,

The water situation, well today it's not too bad as it's chucking it down and we have a small stream running down the road;), but certainly the lakes i look after the levels are well down as are the reservoirs round here, it's par for the course i suppose, all it needs is people to be a little reasonable with their water usage, ie the guy over the road who washes his car four times a week and leaves the hose running while he's doing it, to my next door neigbour who fills the bath right up and everyone has a seperate bath, even the two boys (toddlers) have a bath on their own with fresh water each time, have they heard of a shower, mind you when water meters get fitted they might change their habits a bit.

What we want is a sustained period of gentle rain and it will all fill back up again fairly quickly,m i know speaking to a mate of mine at he Environment Agency their are talks with the water companies about increasing the abstraction levels from the rivers

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Looks like you had a good Kepis, them apples look good, I'm just about out of cookers, might have to go for a bimble around Mouse lane.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Looks like you had a good Kepis, them apples look good, I'm just about out of cookers, might have to go for a bimble around Mouse lane.

Twas a great day out, it was very much last minute decision to go otherwise i would have given you a shout to see if you wanted to come along for the day

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Nice pics as usual Mark, I take it your boys were the victims of the strike.

Cheers mate, yep they were out because of the strike, thing is only 5 teachers went on strike at the school, but because of the distrupion caused by them they had little choice but to close it for a day.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE