Lets be having your insect photo's (photo heavy)

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
One of my interests is the photography of insects & arachnids, so thought it would be an idea to see if anyone else has tried photographing the insect world, here's a few of mine to kick off, lets see what we can generate, please though, if you post photographs, make them 640x480 resolution so the whole photo is visable on screen and also so the thread doesn't slow right down when trying to load up - thx

Imgp3956.jpg

Imgp3953.jpg

Imgp3934.jpg

Imgp3865.jpg

Imgp2522.jpg

bee.jpg

Fly2-1.jpg

Imgp3876.jpg

blackants.jpg

BlackAntfeeding.jpg

Spider7-5-06.jpg

SpiderCU7-5-06-1.jpg

Imgp3946.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cor, there's some good photo's there, very nice :D

What kit are you taking them with?

Digital SLR with a macro lens, with additional close up lenses fitted on the filter thread, you can get some serious close ups, well if the subject stays still that is ;)

Imgp2693.jpg

Imgp2756.jpg

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Here are a couple of guys from Hungary, I don't have a macro lens sadly, these were taken with a 50mm lens on a Nikon DSLR.

kektura_bogar_02.jpg

kektura_bogar_01.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That blue one is bizzare, not seen one of them before and ive spent some time in Hungary myself over the years working.

littlebiglane's moth is great, not often you see the underside

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
That blue one is bizzare, not seen one of them before and ive spent some time in Hungary myself over the years working.

I saw a few in July and August 2007, I was walking the width of Hungary, mostly through forest and there was much to keep any bug enthusiast entertained :)

Locally this one is called a 'cincer' (pronounced 'tsinster') or 'Capricorn Beetle'.

Apparently its latin family name Cerambycididae).

:)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Ooh, this is up my street... Nice photo's guys...
Stuart...Any idea what that moth is..? Its very impressive...
Will have a looky for some of my insect photo's...Errrr, have one or two...

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Nasty nasty, but beautiful eyes, Horse fly...
DSC03663Small.jpg

Nice moth (can't remember what sort it is though)
DSC03654Small.jpg

Elephant hawk moth..
Elephanthawkmoth2Small.jpg

Hornet..
Hornet.jpg

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Must admit im partial to takings pics of spiders, but you probably guessed that from above;)

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
That Praying Mantis is great, I've only ever seen them behind glass unfortunately.

That one got uncomfortably close, I was checking and repacking the contents of the medical kit you can see in the photo, when the mantis, attracted by the light from my headlamp, flew straight into my face!

Stuart...Any idea what that moth is..? Its very impressive...

No sorry, I've no Idea; it unexpectedly landed on the gentleman in the picture and seemed in no rush to fly away.

I’m always amused by the flight of the giant birdwing butterflies in the tropical forests, they hardly flutter their wings at all, preferring to glide gracefully until they hit an object like a vine, which they strike like a kite hitting a telegraph pole, rebounding off the object and swerving off at a slightly different angle.

Is both immensely graceful and hysterically clumsy at the same time, they must be far more robust than they appear.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've debated getting a good macro lens for some improved insect and flower photographs. Could anyone make some suggestions for a reasonable lens for a Canon Eos system? Nothing too hefty if possible - say up to a couple of hundred (or are they not worth getting at that price?). All advice gratefully received!

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE