Lest we forget (the living)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Had a great chat with our poppy collector today. I wont give his name as he is a retiring sort, but he fought in Korea (and that scrap finished in 1953) and is still out helping with rural collections in areas with no street lights or pavements. His dad and uncles fought in the Great War, his cousins in WWII. He says he has to do the collection - he is the last of them :(

People like him put me to shame. Always nice to take the time to talk to our ex servicemen, hear their story and thank them personally for their service.

Poppy by British Red, on Flickr

Please buy a poppy - and wear it with pride.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'll buy poppies for each of my kids as I did last year... explain exactly what they mean, and hopefully they will pass it on to their kids.

If it isn't passed on, it is lost forever... and the men who died protecting our island do not deserve to be forgotten.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
I will buy a Poppy, but I will not wear one. I will not be like Tony Blair and David Cameron, hypocrites who dare not be seen in public without one, despite there manifest contempt for our armed forces.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I will buy a Poppy, but I will not wear one. I will not be like Tony Blair and David Cameron, hypocrites who dare not be seen in public without one, despite there manifest contempt for our armed forces.

Stuff the politics of it... regardless of what they do, wear the poppy. Future generations may want to ask questions.

You are aware both of those politicians eat food? Are you planning on starving to death?

Ignore the modern politics... if anything, rage against the prats that sent thousands to their death in WW1... but don't forget the lads that volunteered... my great grandad and his son being two of them!

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Folks please don't ruin a thread about honouring our war dead by bringing politics into it. No more mentions of politicians and what they get up to.

I buy my poppies every year and make sure I can get to a war memorial. Fair few of the family gave up their lives along with many strangers, I owe them a huge debt of respect as I also do to those still serving.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Folks please don't ruin a thread about honouring our war dead by bringing politics into it.

Spot on... they get enough time in our media without sullying this forum. Stuff 'em.

We are the people who go to war, we are the people that send our sons and daughters and we are the people who live with consequences of war.

And we are the the people to celebrate the people who gave their lives for our freedom.

Buy a poppy and wear it!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Spot on... they get enough time in our media without sullying this forum. Stuff 'em.

We are the people who go to war, we are the people that send our sons and daughters and we are the people who live with consequences of war.

And we are the the people to celebrate the people who gave their lives for our freedom.

Buy a poppy and wear it!

Good post dewi.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I usually manage to buy my poppy at the Commonwealth War Grave over here.

PB110055.JPG

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Red,

Good man! I couldn't agree more with the sentiments of your original post. I'll be off to buy mine for this year later this morning.

Dave

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
It is completely above politics but about being human. Poppies, war memorials and remembrance services glorify nothing: they are a reminder to us all of the futility and waste that is war. We should recognise with respect and gratitude the many brave men and women who have given and continue to give life and limb to protect us all when politicians fail to do so in this imperfect world.

I wear my poppy with humility.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I find orders like this offensive.

I find the lack of choice when it comes to alcoholic beverages in my local supermarket offensive, and while we're sharing things we find offensive, I've never been keen on Crocs. Not sure whether I actually see them as offensive mind you... they're just not to my taste. Perhaps they offend my taste, or lack there of. :confused:

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I find the lack of choice when it comes to alcoholic beverages in my local supermarket offensive, and while we're sharing things we find offensive, I've never been keen on Crocs. Not sure whether I actually see them as offensive mind you... they're just not to my taste. Perhaps they offend my taste, or lack there of. :confused:
Buy some Crocs and wear them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE