Lessons for my cousin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I've been teaching my cousin basic knife skills. He's really interested in camping too. Now I want to introduce him to bushcraft. What are the things I could teach him? He's 12 btw.

I was thinking about:

Firelighting in a responsible way ( lighter, matches, firesteel)
The basics of shelters
Some first aid info
psk info

Anything you suggest that I should consider?

Kind regards,

Michiel

pag_3833

May 9, 2007
suffolk - uk
most certainly shelter building. i know when i was that age i used to love making tree-houses and dens/bases and what not, if i learnt the info i know now back then - oooo i could only imagine how much fun i would of had.

id also teach about respecting the land around you, not sure how you'd go about doing that though, im no teacher ;)

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
An idea of where arteries and veins run in the body is a good start to knife safety, it focuses the mind when you show how easy it is to cause serious ijury to yourself!
Some ID books(flora,fauna,fungus etc.) would be a good start, I have only recently started to build up a library and ID is a good way of making walks more interesting, the more I learn the more I realise there is to learn.

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I'll lend him my ID books. I tought him how to remove ticks because there are a lot of them out there now. I had one on my leg and showed him how to remove it.
Making shelters is a good idea. My grandfaher has a small piece of woodland, so it's great for teaching him some skills.

Michiel

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
If I think back that far to when I was starting Scouts, the skills that I learned then have stayed with me right through, Ropecraft, Navigation, Knife/Axe/Saw use, Firemaking and Camping.
Its a lot for a youngster to take in, but fed slowly and with inter-related topics (like what knots to use in sheltermaking or Navigation to a new campsite) and it all builds together to form a very solid foundation.
Its great that you are taking the time to teach the next generation, rep points in credit to you.

ATB

Ogri the trog

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
Some knots would come in handy I think. When setting up camp I'll teach him some. I don't know if his mother would like him using an axe, but a saw would probably be OK.

Michiel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE