Les Stroud's Temagami

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

beasty

Dec 28, 2010
Swansea
the rivets to hold the belt loop to the sheath are not covered, there is a high probability that over time they will scratch the heck outta the wooden handle.
apart from that its a nice looking knife, i just wonder what the thickness is and what exactly they mean by 'carbon steel laminate' and the steels involved.
£126 for a quality fixed blade knife is a reasonable price, you will struggle to find a nice one with a leather sheath for less than £100.
Ill wait for more specs and better pics before I judge it.

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I have no idea what the core steel is but I have used several laminated Helle knives over the years and they are superb performers. The central core is usually very hard - I would guess probably 62-63 and is supported by the softer side laminations. High hardness is fine provided you have the shock absorbing sides and also provided you use the knife properly (that means slicing, for those who might not actually know :D )

I am rather looking forward to playing with the knife when it arrives - no, it really isn't anything new, but the proven (broadly speaking) design will, I think, stand out largely due to that laminated blade.

Anyone who has ever used the laminated blades produced by any one of a number of bladesmiths from Norway, Sweden, Finland etc (like the Julius Pettersson blades sold by Woodlore for example) will know how well they perform. The word "good" falls wayyyyyyyyyy short...

Last edited:

beasty

Dec 28, 2010
Swansea
if it truly is a laminated blade with a harder core and softer sides then i would consider that price almost a steal

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
if it truly is a laminated blade with a harder core and softer sides then i would consider that price almost a steal

Quote from the pre-order page on Les Stroud's website:

"Pre order your autographed limited edition version of Les Stroud's new signature knife, The Temagami made by Helle knife today! Available Feb 26th
Hand crafted for the ultimate in quality and outdoor durability, carbon steel laminate, The Temagami has a Curly birch handle that’s oiled with linseed and designed to fit snugly in your hand..."

And from the main announcement page:

"Only 500 limited edition carbon steel laminate knives will be available for sale at the Outdoor Adventure Show in Toronto. Buy yours at booth #501 Canada Outdoor Equipment or purchase online at www.lesstroud.ca after the show. Helle will release a second version with a laminated stainless steel blade in late February. Thereafter, both versions will be available for purchase world-wide."

When you pre-order you are reserving an autographed first-run knife which I presume is from the first batch of 500.

When the stainless laminate becomes available I think I'll snag a couple of those as well. Might as well have the full set...

:D

I've actually only just noticed but the knife appears to be a partial full-tang:

helle-1.jpg

If so, the timber will wrap completely around the lower part of the tang - being a fan of hidden tang this, to me, is a good thing :)

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
If the blade is anything like the harding I got my girlfriend some time ago it will be amazingly sharp and keep an edge very well indeed.

Those Helle blades are damn good.

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I ordered one, mainly because I like the Helle knives and this one has a strong tang, nice, simple scales and about the size I prefer. I ordered the carbon steel version, prefer that.

I did note that the Canadian dollar is actually more than a US dollar at the moment, must be a first! So, it cost me almost $200 US, shipped. Oh well, we Yanks have been getting our money beat up for some years now. Still good against the Euro though.

I would think that once the Temegami is out awhile and readily available, the price at discounters will be much less than the full/current retail.

Cheers!

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
Not precisely sure but it appears to be about 3mm which is pretty normal for laminated Helle blades. I actually hope it is 3mm, I have enough heavy 4mm blades and thinner Moras.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Just what I wanted to hear. Most outdoors knives are far too thick and 3mm is pretty much my overall ideal. Looking forward to receiving them and playing with them :D

You and me both then! It's interesting to note that, on this forum anyway, no-one has had a real rant about the design, the manufacturer, the guy endorsing it or even the price really. I am really looking forward to receiving mine. I have a sneaking suspicion that it's going to be good...

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
I don't feel that the design is anything unusual, noteworthy, or even particularly different to many commonly available knives at present.

The price is, I think, very competitive, especially taking into account that this is the signature run - perhaps subsequent, non-autographed runs will be less ?

Or not...

I bought mine because I have a lot of time for how Les portrays the actual realities of survival, and because I have owned and used several Helle knives in the past and they have always been great at what they do. Any future increase in value that may crop up is academic to me. One will be an occasional user for me and the second is for my daughter, when she is old enough for it.

We can all compare notes when they arrive :D

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Just got this email:

Greetings,

The final touches are now being made to Les Stroud's signature knife The Temagami by the Helle craftsmen in Holmedal, Norway.

International shipping is scheduled to begin the week of February 21st, 2011.

To all those who have pre-ordered, thank you for your patience and flexibility. Should you have any questions or require further information, please do not hesitate to contact us directly.

The Temagami is worth the wait.

Sincerely,

Dawn Lawless

Not long now...

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Having pre-ordered one as well, I wonder if I'll get sent a similar email...

If they're shipping on 21st Feb. then allow a few days to get it back across the herring pond, a few months in customs ... I should get mine some time in May! ; )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE