Les Stroud joins RM and BG

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
I have yet to see him use one.. did he ever have one and test it out or was it ok they look cool think I can make some money and scam all those survivors and bushcrafters....

so your saying the same doesn't apply to ray and bear? im sure bear was just promoting his knives and had little input into their design but also ray wouldn't have bothered putting his knife into production if he wasn't looking to make money out of it.

pete

Golb

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2010
Belgium
www.golb.be
When I saw this post about Les' own knife, the first thing I thought about was: did he make a deal with Leatherman? I've seen Les using more often a multi-tool then a fixed blad...

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
I have yet to see him use one.. did he ever have one and test it out or was it ok they look cool think I can make some money and scam all those survivors and bushcrafters....

I saw this over on another forum (BkUSA or BB I think) and I believe the reason he chose Helle was he found a knife out in the wild which he used and adored without knowing the maker, and then lost it again to the wild, then discovered the blade had been a Helle.

I'm looking forward to it. Les Stroud seems to be a more grounded survivalist, and Helle are very much a traditional company with good laminated steel and esthetically pleasing and simple designs. I doubt we're going to see a synethetic handle, garish colours and serrations like some other branded knives that shall not be mentioned...

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
I'm quiet shore he own a few knifes, the show was to demonstrate what you could use/improvise with.

I like a few here will watch and see how it turns out then make an informed decision once I see what it looks like and the spec's involved.

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
Should be interesting to see what the end result is. I have several Helle knives and have a high opinion of their quality. I thought Stroud was famous for using a basic Buck knife? I assume it will be a scandi grind?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Helle knives are great, had a few. The few i had were all convex grinds.
I just hope they arent 10 million quid each.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Helle knives are great, had a few. The few i had were all convex grinds.
I just hope they arent 10 million quid each.

Well all the Helle knives are around the same price point (and from what I've seen all under £100 to boot?) so I'd be surprised to see them deviate from this.

OhCanada

Forager
Feb 26, 2005
Eastern Canada
He didn't "decide", Helle decided that they wanted to make a knife that les would have input on so they asked Les and he agreeded; he did not decide to make a survival knife for the masses and then set out to find a company to make it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE