Legality of kukri (large blades)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tobias

May 19, 2010
Glasgow, Scotland
What would the legality of using one of these? Are they completely legal in the forest? what if you transport it through a public area (like taking the train)? Could someone clear this up for me as I don't want to be arrested :D

Edit: I live in Scotland!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
If it was in a locked suitcase that wasn't stored on your person on the train then I might consider it but in a rucksack next to you? I think it would be a bit dodgy if you got stopped. There is nothing illegal about doing it but you would have a harder time talking your way out of it whereas if it was locked away you can show that you are purely transporting it.

nigeltm

Aug 8, 2008
south Wales
Hi Tobias,

Here is a link (http://www.ukpoliceonline.co.uk/ind...441107__hl__knife__fromsearch__1&#entry441107) to a thread I started on the UKPoliceOnline forum as I was after clarification myself. I looked up the relevant legislation and reviewed relevant threads on the forum and put together a plain English summary for the Officers to comment on.

In your case it is legal to transport the kukri and have it on you in a public place as long as you have a reasonable excuse. The law does not specify HOW you transport or carry the knife, just that you may have a legal right to carry it in the right circumstances.

But now for the difficult bit.

If you are stopped by a Police Officer it is initially down to the Officer’s discretion whether or not to accept your reasonable excuse. Unfortunately, a number of the Officers who have commented on various threads on UKPoliceOnline have a "all knives are bad" opinion and as some have stated "arrest first and let the CPS sort it out". At one point there was a very long and argumentative thread where Officers who knew nothing about the intended use of the knife (in that case it was bushcraft in the Brecon Beacons!) were making uninformed judgment calls on whether or not a particular type of knife was appropriate. While the majority of Officers do have common sense you may be unlucky enough to come across one who has a personal agenda or just doesn't understand the law!

If using public transport your best options are;
- keep it out of sight. If it can't be seen then you are unlikely to have to explain why you are carrying it.
- don't have it readily available. While you don't have to keep it in a locked hardcase at least have it somewhere where you require time and effort to gain access. Bottom of the rucksack is the usual advice.
- know the law. Section 139 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988 covers the carrying of a fixed blade over 3" cutting edge in public. Look it up and have a passing familiarity.
- if stopped by the Police don't be stroppy. While you may have read Sect.139 more recently than them, don't rub it in their face! At the end of the day they have the same human frailties as you and I. If you're arsey with them they'll be arsey with you. The difference is they have the Law, batons and CS spray!

At the end of the day if you have a big knife in the right context then you should be OK. Don’t draw attention to it and especially don’t wave it in anyone’s face! Other than that go out and have fun.

Hope this helps (and hasn’t sent you to sleep!).

Nigel.

Last edited:

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
in sac wrapped up in cloth and string/paper and tape.
That way it is not readily available and is "secure". Even better ditch it and get a billhook - the traditional British TOOL for work in woodlands.

Khukri:
Plod - why are you carryig a khukri
you - for camping in a the woods
Plod - really

Billhook:
Plod - whats that
you - a Newton Billhook (insert own style)
Plod - uhhm it a big bladdy thing
you - its a normal tool for woodland and hedging work, laying and snedding etc
Plod - so why are carrying it in the rucksac with camping stuff
you - I'm off to x to do some forestry work and camping out over there
Plod - OK sonny

I was the word Plod to discribe a certain kind of police officer not all - you know the sort.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Why not take a Ghurka with you?

(says she hates kukris)

Never tried cutting a tree down with a pickle?? Will it work??

40099.JPG

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE