Legalities fo Fishing rods, handlines etc

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodGnome

Tenderfoot
Mar 4, 2015
Germany/Northern Ireland
Message from Tony
This is part of the thread conversation derived from the video posted by jack Bounder (MCQBushcraft - Introduction to Bushcraft series video)
It's not all going to make sense as there's reference to the original vid etc but for the most part the conversation is about the legalities of Fishing...

I've just found his videos. Impressive production quality for a youtube video, most refreshing. So far of all I've watched the only let down is he's filmed himself fishing illegally... Of all the info he has covered, it seems weird that he failed to mention the legality of fishing without a rod in the uk.

I look forward to further episodes of his new series.

J

Are the rods really regulated? I know that weights and baits are, depending on the type of fishing. When a hooks attached, you have to have a rod license, that's clear, but which requirements does a rod have to fulfil?

Regards,
Marc

Last edited by a moderator:

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Are the rods really regulated? I know that weights and baits are, depending on the type of fishing. When a hooks attached, you have to have a rod license, that's clear, but which requirements does a rod have to fulfil?

Must be at least 32" long. However, my googling only brings up threads on bcuk, which makes me wonder if this is more lore than law...

Julia

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Does that only apply to Freshwater fishing? Theres hand held kit on sale at most seaside resorts......

Paul

Last edited:

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Keep in mind that if Mike has the water rights owners permission he may be allowed to demo "survival" techniques, I doubt he would have made the video of "acting illegally" if he had no such permission.
That would be like shooting oneself and he does not strike me as a numpty.

Rob.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
He is using a handline not a fishing rod, in fact he acknowledges this himself at 5:24 in the video when he actually says ''casting the handline is very easy''. A fishing licence authorises an angler to fish with a rod & line, NOT a handline. I’m not exactly sure of the legal description of a fishing rod (suspect long tapered pole) but I doubt if a handline constitutes a fishing rod in law and suspect he would end up in court if he told the bailiff his handline was a fishing rod, though am happy to be proved wrong, what normal thinking person would accept that a handline is actually a fishing rod.

3bears

Settler
Jun 28, 2010
Anglesey, North Wales
I have a friend who used to work (until recently) for the EA. I have asked if they know whether one must use a rod or not.

He is using a handline not a fishing rod, in fact he acknowledges this himself at 5:24 in the video when he actually says ''casting the handline is very easy''. A fishing licence authorises an angler to fish with a rod & line, NOT a handline. I’m not exactly sure of the legal description of a fishing rod (suspect long tapered pole) but I doubt if a handline constitutes a fishing rod in law and suspect he would end up in court if he told the bailiff his handline was a fishing rod, though am happy to be proved wrong, what normal thinking person would accept that a handline is actually a fishing rod.

Keep in mind that if Mike has the water rights owners permission he may be allowed to demo "survival" techniques, I doubt he would have made the video of "acting illegally" if he had no such permission.
That would be like shooting oneself and he does not strike me as a numpty.

Rob.

Guys I stared a thread up for this years ago, nobody has been able to give me a straight answer.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85768

As long he has an EA licence for the fish he's catching I can't see there being a problem. I've been able to see no mention other than 'be caught by hook and line' in the legislation, though there is stuff in place for catching eels specifically and no mention of minimum or maximum rod length- some of these canal anglers use 17m poles (55ft in old money) and there is no mention that you have to use any kind of reel, if you have an EA licence turning up with a bit on bamboo cane ( or handline) is fine from what I've been able to find.

Some places have restrictions on bait types, tackle used and so on, but this is down to the angling association covering the water- if there is one.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I've been able to see no mention other than 'be caught by hook and line' in the legislation

[FONT=&amp]I have my fishing licence in front of me and it says ''rod and line'' not ''hook and line''. If no such precedent has been set in law then it would be a court that actually decides what item can reasonably be described as a fishing ''rod''. Personally I don’t see how any sane person with any common sense can legitimately claim a handline as shown in that vid is a fishing rod[/FONT], but like i say am happy to be proved wrong.

It is unlikely an EA bailiff will come along and nab the guy because of it’s location however if he wants to present himself as a law-abiding citizen then it would be advisable to check the legalities first (he may have done but somehow I doubt it) as any moral high ground is bankrupted if he openly breaks the law himself. There has been a big problem for some years with Eastern Europeans illegally fishing and removing fish and I would hazard a guess if they were caught with a handline they would be accused of illegal fishing, the law must apply to all equally unless hypocrisy is a defence. The environment agency are the folks that know if anyone wants a definitive answer.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
He must have special permission on that particular stretch. He should mention that it is not something people can do on rivers. As soon as any angler saw you doing that, he'd have a word with you. Doesnt have to be a water baliff.
The sea fishing trot line, is the same method as Mears used, in that clip where he caught the flounders using a hawthorn hook, on the thames estuary.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
He must have special permission on that particular stretch. He should mention that it is not something people can do on rivers. As soon as any angler saw you doing that, he'd have a word with you. Doesnt have to be a water baliff.
The sea fishing trot line, is the same method as Mears used, in that clip where he caught the flounders using a hawthorn hook, on the thames estuary.

Appreciate what you say Dave, that "As soon as any angler saw you doing that, he'd have a word with you." However the rules don't specify a minimum "rod" length….I think therefore you could argue that technically, what Mike uses is a small rod………its a typical British "grey area"……….(i'm talking the freshwater clip here) It appears the sea fishing line is OK?…...

Paul

https://www.gov.uk/freshwater-rod-fishing-rules/tackle-you-can-use

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE