legal uk edc folder wanted.

Sep 25, 2014
Leicester
hi guys, i've been after a new edc for a while now, while i appreciate that a ukpk is a fine piece of kit, for me, it has 2 drawbacks. cost and character. so, to my question.....
does anyone know a site or shop that could supply an older knife? I currently carry a very old trim trio that belonged to my uncle, poor knife really, more about nail care than bushcraft. lol. i'm happy with preowned, and having access to an engineering factory i would be more than happy to refurb an antique item.
any suggestions or advice gratefully received.

ta

TB

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
How about an old army jack knife? I posted a link somewhere on here where I got mine for about £8.00 plust postage...plenty of character or if youlike the UKPK there's always the Byrd Tern.

Oh, and welcome to the forum...you might want to introduce yourself in the introductions section :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Buy a proper, traditional, hand made pocket knife from a Sheffield "Little Mester". The last few of a dying breed. Stupidly cheap knives made by a one off maker, by hand.

Mine are made by Trevor Ablett

Ablett Antler by British Red, on Flickr

Stunning knife - carbon steel blades, antler scales, brass liners and pins. Cheaper than a UKPK and piece made by an individual craftsman with change from £50.

Yes the scales have soaked up sweat, and the blades got a patina. Thats what happens when you use a knife every day for years :)

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
byrd tern or the Lanky world legal both seem pretty popular. The Lanksy is only about £14 as well if memory serves.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
If he doesn't like the character of the UKPK. Then the Lansky is going to be a real turn off. That thing may be a slip joint and sub 3", but its design is rooted in protection.

lansky-world-legal-folding-knife.-9000-p.jpg

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
If he doesn't like the character of the UKPK. Then the Lansky is going to be a real turn off. That thing may be a slip joint and sub 3", but its design is rooted in protection.

lansky-world-legal-folding-knife.-9000-p.jpg

Aargh! I just wonder what the psychology is behind these things. I don't think it is either usefulness or beauty that drives the design to paraphrase William Morris.

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
I suggest getting one of the fine folks on here to make you one.
That way its usually cheaper than a store bought one and you get to have it exactly as you want.
I just got this one from Kristophish and now have him making me my camp knife, at over a £45 saving to what i was going to buy and its specced to my personal design.

c6793426668afa5aa537a09cfc8f062b.jpg
a85ccf4d5d575199e5f4024ade6f6c99.jpg

Sep 25, 2014
Leicester
thank you all, fantastic response in just a few hours. i'm smitten with Trevor Ablett knives, (thanks british red) ordering one over this weekend, 4-6 week waiting list just means i get it as a xmas pressie. (thank you wifey).
i'm tempted to get a second hand belgium army too (ta northumbrian) but fear i might relegate the Ablett to showcase only and that's really not the point. i want something that beautiful with me always. the signs of use that slowly appear are all part of the character.
thanks again to all for your advice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE