Opinel for EDC legal question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Apologies if this particular one has been raised before.

I am not usually concerned about legality as I have a good reason whenever I carry a fixed blade or a locker, and otherwise make do with an SAK except for situations where there is a real rather than a remote possibility of it being confiscated.

I do feel cheated, from a safety perspective by the interpretations put on a sub 3" folder.

Opinels make very nice cheap sub 3" lockers. Now it is easy to remove the locking collar so for all intents it is a non locker. I wouldn't want to subject one to hard use without something more substantial to hold it in place however.

The legal question comes if I were to carry the collar in another pocket or somewhere in my baggage and only put it on to lock the knife when actually using it be legal? I imagine that being caught in the act of using a locking knife (providing it is a proper use) would be sufficient justification for having it on ones person at that point in time. It's the carriage I am wondering about? I think if you were merely found with the knife on your possession without the collar, that would not be a problem, but otherwise proving that you only put the collar on to actually use the knife might be more of a problem.

It's probably not worth the bother to adopt this as EDC practice but it has been a question that has been rolling round in my mind for some time, so I thought I would post it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE