Legal advice needed, regarding cats!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
:deadhorse:Excellent a thread at long last for animal abusers-great....

I guess if you take into account the amount of damage cats do to the local bird, reptile and amphibian population, then there is an argument to say cat owners are responsible for a certain amount of animal abuse.

But this is more a thread for people who want cat owners to take responsibility for there animals - like the owner of ANY other animal would have too.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
:deadhorse:Excellent a thread at long last for animal abusers-great....

Yes I was suprised at some of the attitudes coming from members of a forum dedicated to nature and the outdoors towards what are animals the same as any other.
Many members quite rightly desire the right to roam for themselves.
Seems some animals are more equal than others

Dont get me wrong I genuinely accept its a nuisance but in the bigger scheme of things lets get real.
I do envy those of you for whom a few cats in the garden is the biggest problem you have to deal with though
Give just accepting it a go it uses less energy and you can focus on something else

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Get a bigger cat, if you don't like cats, put a pile of sand in a dark corner of the garden. If you take direct action you may upset one or more neighbours, which may be justified if they are upsetting you, but local opinion can be fickle and you might find yourself ostracised by your community, something to bear in mind.

I was a cat owner, not any more though, my cat would keep foxes and deer out of my garden, other cats didn't have a chance. :)

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Obviously you don't have the option if you live in town but I've found a 12 gauge works best; in a pinch, a 20 gauge will do. But as others have said, by and large I just ignore them as I really preferred having them around the barnyard when I still lived in the country.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Cat scat in my own garden where my kids play is not something I can just accept. Its an insanitary disgusting nuisance.

The cats here bury their scat. The birds (that would be there if it weren't for the cats) usually leave it all over my truck's windshield and hood.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I think if I had the right to roam over peoples gardens and then used their veg plots as a sand pit digging up their food crops and leaving a "richard the third" in the middle of their patch the owners might have a thing or two to say and do to me. same with cats... Responsible cat ownership is much the same as responsible rambling.

It cost me a lot of time and money to protect my raised beds to stop just a few cats who thought they had the right to roam over my patch digging up my attempts at growing food to feed myself and my family.

ebt.

Nomad
Mar 20, 2012
Brighton, UK
SO, can someone please refer me to the section of law regarding my rights to get rid of them?

I understand it isn't as simple as shooting them, but I'm still unclear on what I can and cannot do and I can't find the law online.

Simple answer, the owners are under no obligation to do anything. You are not permitted to trap them, move them (they're regarded as property so thats theft) or otherwise harm them.

Welcome to a no win situation.

Options (depending on how you feel about these):

1. Talk to owners about distress/killing of childrens pets and ask them to contribute to costs for better cages etc (good luck)
2. Get one of those water sentry things
3. try one of the many fabled fixes (tiger ****, orange peel, starfish). I've got a vet mate who sniggers when any of these are mentioned.
4. 1 large supersoaker filled with a dilute mix including chilli oil. Aim for eyes/****. It works as a detterent.
5. If they're not tagged, remove them and hand into RSPCA. You won't be thanked.

Personally I like my garden to be a haven for natural species, not some introduced predator that kills indiscriminantly.

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
Responsible cat ownership?
How does that work then?

Well...Keep them indoors and trained to use a litter tray before an outing on a leash is a starter, a bit like those who keep these types of pets in unsuitable properties such as flats do.

Sadly it is as much a persons responsibility to keep unwanted pests out as it is for the owners of the animal. Security of the perimeter is the key, a bit like how we keep undesirables out.

martsim73

Jul 30, 2012
Wimborne, Dorset
... When we had the cat puck and poo problems, I remember my parents scooping up the mess.... (whilst gagging at the smell of it), taking it round to the neighbours and depositing it on their doorstep! They soon got the idea that they needed to do something about their cats defecating in others gardens... Especially as there were small children playing around in them.

northumbrian

Settler
Dec 25, 2009
newcastle upon tyne
I've done my bit to ensure they are safe (my animals), but without having to shed out money I don't have on lavish and excessive protection for them because of filthyc ats just seems wrong.. and I know I'm not the only one who detests these vermin endangering or vioalting their property.

they are not vermin !

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE