Left-handed Mora sheaths?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Anybody know if Mora do their stock sheaths in a left handed model? Strange request I know (and yes I know i can take the sheath off my belt and get the knife out with my left hand that way but I'm lazy)

I had emailed Mora but got no reply.

Sile86

Jun 21, 2011
Treviso (Italia)
It's not so difficult to make a mora knife sheat.....you could try....

These are mine

img2182mf.jpg

img2183oe.jpg

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
As a left hooker this thing winds me right up!

I have bought a few knives "off the peg" and end up getting a custom sheath made or opt for the knife that has an ambidextrous sheath.

Even when I bought one of the cheapy plastic things:)eek:) you are all so fond of to see if I could get it second time around, a £10 knife is sat in a £25 sheath...... doesn't seem right!

Would be nice to see more Ambidextrous sheaths come as standard for a us freaks...... would save me a fortune!

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
The first sheath I made was for a Mora and I've done loads since, look at making your own as a rewarding way to have a go at learning a new skill. You'll cherish it forever!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
......a £10 knife is sat in a £25 sheath...... doesn't seem right!.......

couldn't agree more, i'm left handed too (or wrong handed as it's always referred to in our house, mainly to give gemma's left wing, right on, bra burning, politically correct friends yet another reason to complain (don't criticise me, they like to complain, it makes them happy, i'm simply providing a service)), and i have the same problems. generally i get around the problem by modifying sheaths so that i can carry them baldrick stylee - a right handed sheath will usually hang somewhere under my right arm in such a way as to be comfortable to wear as well as being completely practical - i shall pop a picture up shortly, that'll make more sense i think.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
As a left hooker this thing winds me right up!

I have bought a few knives "off the peg" and end up getting a custom sheath made or opt for the knife that has an ambidextrous sheath.

Even when I bought one of the cheapy plastic things:)eek:) you are all so fond of to see if I could get it second time around, a £10 knife is sat in a £25 sheath...... doesn't seem right!

Would be nice to see more Ambidextrous sheaths come as standard for a us freaks...... would save me a fortune!
ahh, but that knife feels all worm and cosy sat in his designer clothes lol. Only joking that's why I love making sheaths for the leftys as I no they struggle to get what they need, but I no what you are saying regarding not having the option.
take care.
lee.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
I know i can get one made (so don't worry Lee I'm currently saving up!) but it's just annoying as hell that "everyone" is right-handed these days, I would love for Mora to make sheaths that the belt hook unclips from one side of the sheath to clip in the other way round....just grrrrrrr, still, glad I'm not alone! cack-handed forever!

Feb 28, 2013
Somerset
I have just purchased a mora companion and stupidly didn't check the sheath re me being left handed. I have checked out the leather sheaths and I cannot justify spending £25 on a sheath. I don't know if anyone has a cheaper homemade sheath idea which they could share with me as my alternative is to just keep the knife strapped onto my daypack which is a pain. thanks and ps I also think that it cant be too hard to make sheaths with universal fittings as there are Im sure loads of lefties in the knife buying market!

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
i'm another left hander too, i just wear the plastic mora sheath on my left hip and have got quite used to flipping the handle round in my hand before inserting it in sheath, i bought a left-handed leather sheath off ebay but i didn't really like it because though it was well-made it was quite big and bulky compared to the standard mora plastic sheath.

Niels

Mar 28, 2011
Netherlands
It's a handicap innit. Remember traditional Scandinavian knives are often carried on the right for left handled people, and left for right handed people. I carry my knives on the left too (Being right handed) and it works fine:)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
just a suggestion but if it's something like a mora clipper sheath you could try cutting off the top belt-clip flush with sheath's rim and somehow fixing a belt clip to the opposite side of sheath, or even use the sheath as a lining inside something else to make a left handed one.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
I am a lefty too, and I quite often put my knife on backwards. It looks a bit silly, and I have to turn it around, but I find it easier than carrying it on the right and having to swap it from right to left all the time. This is one of the main reasons I am trying to learn leatherwork.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Anybody know if Mora do their stock sheaths in a left handed model? Strange request I know (and yes I know i can take the sheath off my belt and get the knife out with my left hand that way but I'm lazy)

I had emailed Mora but got no reply.

I blame the parents and schools for not beating this sign of Lucifer out of you left handed abominations :pokenest:

marcelxl

Settler
May 2, 2010
Kamloops, B.C.
Really though, its not hard to make the sheaths ambi is it!?

I have to of these nasty plastic things you like and I am trying to :)eek:) the companion is R/H but the hideous orange neverlost is ambidextrous, it's infuriating!

My knife of choice right now (Temagami) is ambi, likewise my favourite necker (Barkie mini Canadian) both considered and swung the purchase because of this.

I could wear it on the other side but I don't want to........ a good excuse to get matinsheaths for my Falkies too!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE