Leather

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Hi all, I'm quite new on here but been practicing bushcraft in one way or another for over 20 years.

My question is I'm looking to try making a few leather bits including a pouch and new sheath but am unsure where to source the leather from and how much it will probably cast me.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks John

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I'm sure there will be plenty more folks will give you places for leather but I believe Le Prevo is said to be a great supplier, sorry I have'nt got a link but just search and you shall find.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I don't know my backside from my elbow about this subject but I spotted this download the other day, might be handy to those interested in leatherwork?
Bushcraft 8 Bush Leather Work - Ron Edwards[/URL]

Note from Admin - I've removed the link to the download as it's copyright infringement and it had already been removed from the link, the books are still in print and can be found here http://ramsskullpress.com/products-page/bushcrafts/ Deb and Dave at the Rams Scull Press will be more than happy to help you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Thanks guys you have been a great help. Just watch out for more questions from me soon on the same subject.

Cheers John

yomperalex

Nomad
Jan 22, 2011
Reading
Sorry to butt in on the thread, but I am thinking of having a crack at leather work myself.

Main problem I've got is not sourcing it, but knowing which type to go for - seem to be dozens of types of leather available.

I would like to make a sheath for my machette. Any advice on type of leather and thickness?

Thanks in advance.

A

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Sorry to butt in on the thread, but I am thinking of having a crack at leather work myself.

Main problem I've got is not sourcing it, but knowing which type to go for - seem to be dozens of types of leather available.

I would like to make a sheath for my machette. Any advice on type of leather and thickness?

I would go for Veg Tan cow hide, 2.5 to 4mm, side or shoulder.
I just ordered a re-supply from Le Prevo - a full side (about 20 ftsquare) @£4.48 per ftsquare.

That should see me for about a year or two.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE