Leather working tools

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Having got started with leather-working at the Moot (thanks Bardster),
I'm trying to get tooled-up. Any recommendations for suppliers? I've
looked at Bowstock on the web, but they don't seem to have:
a stitch groove marker, or flat-faced pliers for pulling needles. Anyone
know of a supplier, or suggestions on how to improvise without them?

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I use le prevo - they are great to deal with. You can't order online (which is the only downside) but you can send them your order then phone through your card details so no big issue

there are often too bits available on ebay too

Bardster

Native
Apr 28, 2005
Staplehurst, Kent
Last edited:

Black Sheep

Native
Jun 28, 2007
North Yorkshire
photobucket.com
I,ve got tools from Leprevo, Ebay and made my own. Groovers and edge bevellers (made from ground down screw drivers). I made my own awls by modifying some large needles.

I use a pair of pliers made by Maun, they have parallel jaws and a v groove in one jaw down the middle length ways great for gripping needles(their not cheap though) these look like them............http://www.amazon.co.uk/Maun-4870-F...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=diy&qid=1281726479&sr=1-1

Richard

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2010
Huddersfield
I tend to get tools, threads, buckles, vegtan & dyes from leprevo. If you need any help with any techniques, they're really helpful -- they gave me some great advice with regards to leather dyeing, tooling & stamping. Also, if you're looking for leathers, they'll happily send you swatches.

Gweedo

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
Wales
Blast your eyes Bardster! You inspired me as well!!!! I suspect that Le Prevo have had a bit of a surge is sales immediately following the Bushmoot. I've been gleefully locked away in my workshop making leather things since the moot. The Mrs isn't too impressed....

Harnser

Aug 10, 2010
North Norfolk
Having got started with leather-working at the Moot (thanks Bardster),
I'm trying to get tooled-up. Any recommendations for suppliers? I've
looked at Bowstock on the web, but they don't seem to have:
a stitch groove marker, or flat-faced pliers for pulling needles. Anyone
know of a supplier, or suggestions on how to improvise without them?

I have seen reasonable secondhand items on Ebay but they can be quite expensive.
I have also had some luck at car boots got 2 bradawls and a stitch marker for £1.50 2 weeks ago they were a bit rusty but they cleaned up ok.

Hanser

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
Hi All
if you are located near London the following is a leatherworkers Alladins Cave, no website and only open weekdays.
Mostly supply the trade but you can buy from counter as a retail customer
They have all the leather you could want and the same for tools and fittings

J T Batchelor Ltd.
9-10 Culford Mews
London
London
N1 4DZ

Chas

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE