Leather stitching needles needed, help please!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trotsky

While buying something from Tandy for the missus the other day I picked up their 7 needle set on a whim, easily my worst purchase of the year. I'm making myself a wet moulded sheath for my new Peasant Mini knife and in trying to stitch around the sheath 3 needles broke at the eye one after the other and the holes were punched at that.
Needless to say I'm going to bin the rest and buy some new but, given this experience I don't want to waste more money. So would any of you more experienced leather working folks have any recommendations? I could do with some straight and curved needles strong enough to handle thick leather without busting.

Rflw

Maker
May 9, 2016
England
I know whch needles you are talking about had 2 break on me.
I got some needles free with some ritza thread and they are great. No difference in width the whole length of the needle.

Some cause of breaks though can be through incorrect stitching technique.....again figured this out the hard way!
When the thread starts to get short it is tempting to grip the needles and pull without an extra loop of thread around your hands. This can put sideways pressure on the needle and on the eye. Not easy to explain but loads of you tube vids on the subject.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I use 'John James ' saddlery needles. They are very good. They make needles for just about every use.
Make sure when sewing that you pull the needles through straight as any sideways leverage or wiggling will encourage things to break.

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I agree that john james needles are second to none. However, when I made a few pairs of boots a few years ago I used bristles instead of needles. After getting over that awkward step of learning how to 'thread' them I could sew using smaller holes which is to my eyes more neat. Although in making sheats and general small stuff the added benefit of better waterrepellance is probably not important.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
John James here too. Even good needles will break if you force them too much, so make sure you are using a suitabke sized awl for the needle and thread you choose.

Trotsky

Wow, thank you for all the responses. I'll have a look into those John James needles and the other on Ebay.
I already have one of the Speedy Stitch Awls, got it for xmas a couple of years back. It's a great little think but sometimes either I want to use a normal needle or the nature of the project means I must.
I've never come across needles as rubbish as the ones I mentioned in my first post. I wasn't in the slightest way rough with them, I just tried to draw the eye through the pre-made hole and "click" it snapped leaving the back end of the eye stuck in there. Looking at where they broke they seem like monkey metal to me, the closest they've gotten to steel is if the delivery wagon drove past the British Steel plant in Scunny :p

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
We've had a few threads running on the topic over the years. The consensus is that modern needles can be 'okay' but they're not the quality of the old Redditch ones. Sometimes you just have to use what you can get hold of though :sigh:

If asked for quality Chinese factories can do it, but most western buyers are buying a cut rate price, and it shows.

Anyway, for those interested in a read…
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=100172

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109006

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE