leather sheath

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 1, 2006
Penzance, Cornwall
I bought a frost mora knife just before christmas, it came with a plastic sheath, but I would like to make a leather sheath for it. I've seen a few tutorials on how to make them which I should be able to follow ok (i hope).

I've read in a couple of threads that people have bought leather hand bags from charity shops and made bits and peices out of the leather from them,

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=5400

Would this work well for a sheath? I suppose you would need a peice big enough?

Also, can anyone point me in the right direction on a method to harden the leather?

thanks (in advance) for any advice given

Rob Corbett

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Hi Rob, and welcome to the forum. :) You might find that recycled handbag leather was a bit thin for a knife sheath. Most of us make sheaths from leather thats about 3 or 4mm thick. This gives adequate protection to and from the knife as well as being pretty rigid without any need to treat it. Stiffening the leather can be done by getting the leather soaked with molten bees wax once the project is completed Do this with a tin of wax over heat, a paintbrush and a hair-dryer to keep the leather warm so the wax soaks right in. Others have done tutorials on the process to give you better instructions.

Places like LePrevo and The Identity Store (as well as others) sell smaller peices of thick leather that you could buy for the project. Not as cheap as a charity shop handbag, I know, but you will at least be working with good heavy leather that is nice and new.

Edit to add that I envy your location. My girlfriend and I love it down your way. I have a good mate in Newlyn who we visit and we love to walk the cliff paths on the North coast. Oh, the thought of Summer days in Cornwall..... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE