leather sheath for ukpk and torch.

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
I was commissioned to make a leather sheath for a ukpk, and a torch, he wanted this in black to have black stitching, he also wanted the torch holder to house another torch that is the same size as this one, but the twist was, that does not have a clip, now i'm not going to lie, this was a bit of a night mare, as i had to close the bottom of the loop up, also the loop had to be the length of the torch, because i had to block the end, and there for could not make it just a loop around the tourch, and to be able to fit this on the side of the sheath, i also had concerns about the end being blocked, as if out in rain, the would be no way of it escaping.
so i sowed in a piece of 1.5 mill calf skin, and left a gap for the water to go through, also by having used supple calf skin, it aids with deploying the torch, as you can press from under neath, to push the touch out.
hope you like it.

leather sheath for UKPK, and tourch. by lucky_lee, on Flickr

003 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

004 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

005 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

013 by lucky_lee, on Flickr

011 by lucky_lee, on Flickr
all comments are welcome.
take care.
lee.

Last edited:

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Ah ok - the stacking confused me as the profile looks nice and chunky!
no worrys, its nice and chunky, but if i would have used 9 to 10 ounce leather on all the componants, it would have been very chunky, and, imho would have looked out of place, and to me, would have been over kill.
now for sheaths, i would not use anything else, when i make a sheath like this with out the torch, i use 3 to 4 mill, but as there were a few layers in this, i wemt with 2.5 to 3 mill.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That's just gorgeous Lee, really cleverly done, it's good to read you having your head scratching moments too, it makes us lesser mortals feel not so inadequate seeing you excellant workmanship.

Like my mates always saying: "It's only a problem if you can't find a solution"

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
superb work lee! i think that would have defeated me in my current state haha looks like a tricky fiend with the loop bottom. do you think it would have been possible tae use a box stitch with a round disk of leather with perhaps a small hole drilled for water drainage

gotta see pictures of your workshop sometime!

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
superb work lee! i think that would have defeated me in my current state haha looks like a tricky fiend with the loop bottom. do you think it would have been possible tae use a box stitch with a round disk of leather with perhaps a small hole drilled for water drainage

gotta see pictures of your workshop sometime!
i did originally bud, with a peice of 4 mill veg tan, but becuase the shape of the torch loop at the bottem is not completely round, as you have to double back, hope this makes sense, then you have a funny shaped disk at the bottem, i tryed this, and it just did not work bud, the fit and finish, was not what i was happy with, i also wanted to be able to have a bit of flex so that you can push from the bottem, which you get with the calf skin, its still veg tan, just more supple, and more bloody expensive, due to the customer wanting to be put the other torch in, that does not have the clip, i needed a way to be able to help that torch out, and with the disk in, you could not do that, i hope this makes sense to you mate.
take care.
lee.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
One of these day's I am going to have another go at Leatherwork. I am going to make a sheath for my titanium spork (how naff can you get) I have the spork, I have the leather (well an old leather wallet that can be sacrificed anyway) and I even have the awl, so what's stopping me? Skill I guess, I am green with envy.

NS40

Nomad
Nov 20, 2011
Scotland
Absolutely stunning bit of work, beautifully done.

Wish I had the skills to do something similar as I've got tons of stuff that would benefit from new sheaths & pouches...

luckylee

On a new Journey
Aug 24, 2010
birmingham
Absolutely stunning bit of work, beautifully done.

Wish I had the skills to do something similar as I've got tons of stuff that would benefit from new sheaths & pouches...
hi mate thank you for the comments, if you get stuck and need something sheathing just let me no.
take care.
lee.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE