Leather hat . Lock and Co., breathe easy!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SOAR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
Ok you've convinced me, I shall either make a hat, or at least make it my quest to find one that suits me.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Here's how she looks today.

Sewing finally finished and given first coat of dye.

I had thought to get rid of the watermark left by wet-mouding, but hopefully, it will pass as a sweatstain! now how's that for built-in character?

Come on Shep get your stuff out again, if I can do it, I'm sure anyone can

Ceeg

That looks great have you thought about trying to make moccasins there is a huge market I only wish I had the skills to do it

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
That looks great have you thought about trying to make moccasins there is a huge market I only wish I had the skills to do it

Moccasins, eh.

You know, considering that I spend a good deal of my indoor time just swanning around in stocking feet, it is worth thinking about.

I don't see any reason why I couldn't sole them with extra thick chrometan, for Summer outdoor use.

Lets see, now..........now where did I leave my feet?

Ceeg

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Well, over a week, this has taken about 9 hours of tacking and sewing, and about 3 hours of planning and cutting out and making templates.Maybe an hour to dye and an hour to cut and make the sennit band.

I finished it with a "beeswax 'n'melt" coating, this morning,

finished1.jpg

The whole thing is now stiffened up considerably, and fits ok.
I,ve deliberately left long-ish taggle ends on the band, which drape over the edge of the stern brim...as a draining aid.

Stood out in the heavy rain this morning and it seemed to shed very well, that beeswax was a great idea, thanks Eric. In rain, it sounds like being inside a tin can, but I can live with that.

A great learning experience.
I may just make another!

Thanks for all the encouragement and thanks for looking.

Ceeg

SOAR

Jan 21, 2007
cheshire
That looks seriously good fella, I really like the sennit and the colour, in fact I like the whole thing its really well done.

Simon.

ganstey

Settler
C,mon fellah, it fades away after a few outings and, thereafter , you'll be known as, " im with the 'at".........take my word for it.

I'll second that. Some years ago I did a trip to Australia, stopping off in Singapore on the way. I took a Lowe Alpine brimmed hat with me as I can't deal with the sun directly on my head. Anyway, whilst I was waiting to pick up my campervan in Adelaide a couple asked me if I'd just flown in from Singapore, as they recognised me from my hat :cool:

G

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Coming back from a month long exped in South Africa one year, I got off the train to await my wife picking me up. I had rotted out my faithful Tilley while away and was not wearing a hat of any sort. My wife failed to recognise me at first glance! I am not joking!
I am quite well known for my hat.......which, true to their guaranty Tilley replaced free of charge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE