Leather gouge alternative?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
I've got myself some nice leather to play with and could really do with an adjustable gouge. Problem is, I'm skint , so was wondering if there is an alternative thing I could use or if anybody had an old one I could buy or swap for a new folding hand saw. :)

P.S. could do with a stitch marker wheel aswell but have been using a ruler so far with ok results. :rolleyes:

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
scottishwolf said:
P.S. could do with a stitch marker wheel aswell but have been using a ruler so far with ok results. :rolleyes:

Can't help with the gouge, but you can make a stitch marker wheel yourself fairly easily. All you need is some old wind up clockwork toy. Rip it to pieces and find yourself a neat little thin cog wheel. Get a bit of stick and saw a slot down one end. Drill a little hole right through the stick. Put the cog wheel in the slot, push a bit of stiff wire through the holes and the wheel and you have a stitch marker.

You can find some nice wheels inside an old wind up alarm clock - wheels with different teeth counts will give a wide variety of stitch marks - but at least they will be completely consistant.

Eric

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Tried the stitch marker idea a wee while ago and it works a treat, cheers Eric, helpful as always :You_Rock_ Still no luck with the gouge though, I know they're only a fiver or so just might buy one at the end of the month. That gives me time to maybe find one second hand ;)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I made a stitch marker from an embroidery pattern tracing tool - just like a stitch marker, a toothed wheel in a handle that is rolled along, but in this case to carbon copy an embroidery pattern on to cloth. I got mine many years ago when I was at colledge studying fashion design (another story all together!) and since then it has sat in my sewing kit almost unused. Available for mere pence at your local sewing/embroidery suppliers, all it needed was for every other tooth to be filed away and I have a stitch marker of 4mm throw - just right for saddle stitching sheaths and pouches!
I hope this helps.
John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE