leather collars/bash guards on axes

im in two minds about these.
they look pretty fancy and add another certain something to axes for sure,
however are they necessary or just a nice to have optional extra?
I have to say the kit magpie in me fancies making them for my sfa and outdoor axe but the lazy man in me says unless it actually has a logical and valid reason why bother.

Anyone got any pics of theirs they wish to throw onto the thread?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I put one on my husqavarna hatchet. This axe gets used for splitting a fair bit and it was getting damaged. I followed MCQbushcraft's tutorial. Probably more aesthetic than functional but not bad for a rainy Sunday project.

DSC_0553.jpg

DSC_0554.jpg

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice Copperhead, I have a husqvarna too and that would look sweet. Though my grand dad taught me never to use an axe with a mask or paint as it may be hiding a crack and I can't get the niggle out of my mind.
That does look sweet though. :thumbup:
GB.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
They do help to avoid helve damage from overstrikes and bad technique Sam. I use them on ditch axes.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
as red say's, handy for rough work and to be fair a nice leather one would look nice.....i dont like the idea that its a water trap though. If i had one i reckon it would spend as much time off as on

vestlenning

Settler
Feb 12, 2015
Western Norway
How about rope tied as a helix?

hultafors_felling_axe_hy_20.jpg

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Always thought they were about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, wont stop it from splitting if you cackhandedly overstrike something big and to me they get in the way for the hand that slides on the haft. More of an affectation than real use.

Other peoples mileage may vary.

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
Hmmmm... think this just got added to my to-do list. as Sam said, the kit mag-pie in me is calling for it.. and with the coming summer period, my hultafors 800g will be used for splittling on a daily basis again.

I put one on my husqavarna hatchet. This axe gets used for splitting a fair bit and it was getting damaged. I followed MCQbushcraft's tutorial. Probably more aesthetic than functional but not bad for a rainy Sunday project.

Copperhead, any chance of a linky?

atb Ste

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE