Leather bushcraft sewing kit - help needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
If they are Saddlers, yes. I have saddlers but really often I use any heavy duty needle I have to hand.

You dont need much to start leatherwork. Leather, needles and thread, an awl (Though the multiprong things are handy) and a good quality hole punch, oh, and a bit of beeswax, -you have beeswax?
Beeswax? ....i was not going to seal the sewing kit, unless needed for something else...?

Last edited:

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
The point (if you will excuse the pun) of having saddlers needles is that they are blunt , you are making the holes with an awl or punch.
The blunt needles find the hole, ordinary sharp needles snag on the leather.
If pulling needles through with a small pair of pliers (flat grip) make sure you give a straight pull or you will snap the eye off .

Reactions: gra_farmer

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Carpet sharps work well, and they're generally easier to find on eBay....well decent quality that is. If it says Made in China, look for something else if you can.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
So I have been busy with this, looking at all the possibilities and designs I could find, I went with the tool roll idea.

first of all I have cut some templates from paper to see how it should fit.

6f9ad405e8b47c61f641e65eb0190fe1.jpg

Once happy, I used the templates to cut the leather to size.

The leather was then glued with small dabs of super glue, to hold in position.

It has 4 slide in pockets, one of which is a small needle pocket, a angled pencil, small netting needle / crochet holder and another slide in pocket on the back for paper patterns. The leather tabs, are to string it closed, and will have simple twisted wool straps. The leather tabs will act as a brace holder for small cotton reels as well, when the wool straps are threaded through the reel.

Just need to punch holes and stitch it up...
15a2aff8d26301758dda5241b1f2da6b.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Toddy

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I think I will struggle to get it done in time, and not using the right thread, was going to see if I can find wax tomorrow.

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I hope so too.

Could you use candle wax at a pinch? I have never lacked beeswax and so have never tried alternatives

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
That's very neatly sewn. What wax did you use?

I'm sure she is going to be very chuffed with it.

Sad to hear about the post; cant rely on it these days. No doubt it will arrive Monday. I put in plenty of beeswax so you wont lack for it in the future. Plus good linen thread, needles and some very nice soft leather.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
That's very neatly sewn. What wax did you use?

I'm sure she is going to be very chuffed with it.

Sad to hear about the post; cant rely on it these days. No doubt it will arrive Monday. I put in plenty of beeswax so you wont lack for it in the future. Plus good linen thread, needles and some very nice soft leather.
Thanks Tengu.

It came out pretty well, but really cannot see myself changing job to be a leather worker....fingers hurt a bit.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I'm pretty sure she's going to be chuffed with that :)
I wanted to fill it, but no time, plus that is one of the fun bits and would not want to take that away from my lovely wife. I learnt a few lessons in leather working while doing this.

Reactions: Toddy

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
So my lovely amazing wife, has humbled me, by giving me the most incredible gift of a crochet pouch, to keep all those little snip-it's of small love messages that you get, but often lose. This has blown my mind with the thought, and is a brilliant gift.

db7daf791dadc73834f8729cba996a56.jpg

So she loved the bushcraft sewing roll, which has been tasked into a crochet kit, here is the kit in progress....with the all important tea bag storage

883cb6b7bd5245841c33d4bccffc916d.jpg
5b1ad435f8cb9aa011d26a72ccbd9dbc.jpg
3841189e5887599efef9c73322ec811c.jpg

Reactions: JFW

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE