Leather and ash scandi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Ive scaled a few knives in the past but always wanted to have a go at a stacked scandi ,ive been close by getting all the parts together but then decided to sell them all.

Well this time i completed:)
Leather and ash handle with nickel bolster and finished with 6 coats of boiled linseed oil,the blade is a polar 77,first picture shows it clamped in my home made jig followed by the finished knife.
I feel i will be making more of these when ive made a sheath for this one.

Comments welcome.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
That's a very cool - looking knife; very individual design....................In use I find stacked leather the most comfortable of all the handle options, especially when I have to "choke up" when carving.

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
That's a very cool - looking knife; very individual design....................In use I find stacked leather the most comfortable of all the handle options, especially when I have to "choke up" when carving.

Cheers mac,yeh very comfortable in the hand;)

Like it, that leather looks like mahogany.

:22:i hate mahogany mike:lmao:thankfully its leather:D

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
Can I ask, why 6 coats of oil? I still can't get my head round the arbitrary nature of oiling and I've done it about six times! It seems largely down to personable preference, but I wonder why for some it's 3 coats over 3 days and some it's 6 coats. It's almost too arbitrary, it's curious.

However this is brilliant work, friend. :)

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Can I ask, why 6 coats of oil? I still can't get my head round the arbitrary nature of oiling and I've done it about six times! It seems largely down to personable preference, but I wonder why for some it's 3 coats over 3 days and some it's 6 coats. It's almost too arbitrary, it's curious.

However this is brilliant work, friend. :)

Well,i just kept applying until it stopped soaking in mate and 6 coats was that point;)
Maybe the next one i do it wil take 2 or 3.......

WULF

Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Looks great. Have you tried thin superglue? Seals the outside hard and keeps it light as a feather.

Bet that will be nice to use.

I thought about sealing it with superglue but from experiance used in larger amounts it stinks so thought better of it has i finished this in the house:D

Certainly an idea for next time Rich.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE