lean-to

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

woodrat

Forager
Dec 31, 2004
Oregon U.S.A.
I have been using lean-to's forever it seems like. I can only give you advice as far as how I use them ovre here, don't know how different weather conditions effect set up over there. I prefer a poly-tarp no smaller than 10x12 best is 12x14, that gives you lots for sidewalls and enough for rainflap in front. in back I like to try and find alog or if not set up a cross pole about 18in., off ground. if I use log or c.p. in back I dig trench about 6in. deep and bury end of tarp,[use rocks or wood to anchor this part down]. same way with sides. in front I like my open side about 4 to 4and1/2 ft. high at ridge pole. plenty of sitting space, I run tarp about 2ft. past front ridgepole to act as rain fly, if weather is nice just fold back over roof if not anchor at angle down in front to hep keep wind and rain out. I spent 4 months one year living in one and I know this works. most important part of good leanto is fire reflector and fire set-up. this will make all the difference,I can't stress this enough. heres what I do, first make your fire the same width as you leanto and second make a fire reflector the sme height as your ridge pole. what I use for reflector [I dont know if they have them over there] is stacked logs with a fire shelter , I'll exsplain. a fire shelter is like a pup-tent made out of that reflective material that you see air-port fire crews wearing. I just place it agianst my reflector logs flat not opened and you get incedable heat transfer into shelter. I think that a space blanket would work almost as good. this process to set up takes a couple of hours to complete but the ends justify the means. this is a 4 season shelter that will keep you warm and dry in almost anything short of horizontil blowing snow I have used them year-round, they work, hope that helps you, good luck.

leon-1

From personal experience this seems to be true, the higher off the ground compared with the distance from the fire means more loss of heat.

Obviously if you have a good heat reflector then you should have no problems, but a small fire controlled correctly can issue enough heat to keep people warm as long as thier proximity to the the heat is not that far.

This also depends on enviroment and legal restrictions for your area (Can you start fires legally and can you control it so that it causes minimum impact on the enviroment), watch out for byelaws, they can be very tricky, the ones on Dartmoor have a considerable effect on me.

Legally BCUK cannot condone fires which have not been legally agreed and as such cannot condone any fires that are set by members unless they have been agreed legally by those concerned.

However a low camp will keep heat in very effectively if constructed correctly, star fires are very efficient (I sound like an echo) they give all round heat and give you the option of increasing the heat directionally and adjusting the fire type as well.

Be legal and safe (on Dartmoor for me without permission it could cost as much as £1500, if caught without authority and getting authority can take a long time), speak to the local authorities, get local people as references for you and you may get chances of camping in the wild with impunity if you abide by the law. :)

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Willie,
Lean-To's are a good winter shelter and if made properly will keep you warm & dry, they are only practical if you intend using a fire.
Location - Pick a sheltered spot, preferably with good overhead cover (the open front can have wind & rain blown into the shelter if the wind direction changes). Site the shelter so the wind blows paralell with the front of the shelter, this carries the smoke away from you.
Angle - If you are using natural materials the angle has to be very steep to shed rain. If you are using a Basha its not so crucial.
Ground Cover - You need very good insulation from the ground, pine boughs, packed knee deep and held in place with good "cot-walls".
Heat reflection - For the shelter to perform properly it needs a good fire, a long fire (minimum of a full arm-span, but ideally as long as you are tall), this warms the length of your body. This fire should be located one full pace from your bed (keep the sparks at bay) and should be backed by a good heat relector. This bounces the heat toward the back of the lean-to and doward onto your sleeping area.
One top-tip is to site your lean-to by the base of an up-turned tree, this gives you a quick heat reflector and bare mineral soil to safely build you fire on, if you look in my photo gallery the is a picture of this arrangement, taken a couple of winters ago after a night in the woods with no sleeping bag and a temp hovering around freezing.
Neil

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
Neil

Can I just say, you have given some very good practical advise, that has come from experience and excellent, no BS training. Well done.

Neil1

Oct 4, 2003
Sittingbourne, Kent
Many thanx Adi :biggthump
Would'nt want Willie having a cold, wet, miserable night on my account ( have had too many myself :rolmao: ).
Neil

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Woodrat, Neil-1 are on!! :super: I even put a reflecting sheet on the inside of the lean-to to warm my backside.
Try looking up a Whelen lean-to and how its made I have one in lightweight nylon.
just a thought

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Nice one guys....easy to follow and without pictures....no mean feat :eek:):

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a sheet of that flame retardant reflective stuff to cover my log reflector? Sounds like a good idea....I use a space blanket on the inside of my lean to now for water proofing and to reflect heat back onto my back but a reflective sheet on the logs reflector would be even better! :lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE