Leaky Tonka Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
I am sorry to say my tarp has a leak. It's one from the group buy.

The leak is comming from the velcro loop at the top of the tarp. It seems that the water is soaking in from the webbing outside and saturating the loop which then drips water on me every so often. I noticed this when I was out at the weekend.

I wondered if anyone else had this problem and how they delt with it. All I can think of is cutting off the loop and getting some seam tape on there. I have never used this before so any help would be great.

Thanks

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
I haven't had this specific problem, but I have noticed that the seam seal on this part of the tarp is starting to look white, which normally means its starting to delaminate.

I hope this isn't the case as Its only been used 5 or 6 times.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Leave the loop and seam grip on the inside anyway. I stitched up and seam gripped my ruscksack. It's amazing stuff. Should stop further leaks.

You must have been out in some heavy rain!

Alternatively, contact Andrew at Outdoorcode, he will suggest something.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I think I saw a tatonka tarp at the bushmoot with a poncho over the ridge - must have been leaking.

I've not had any problems with mine, but I haven't used it to sleep under, only for rain protection for family camping.

Is it possible to pitch the tarp in a way that the offending part isn't as badly exposed? Just a thought - I'll have to check on mine - there isn't an intentional slit in the webbing for a pole spike is there?

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
Its right on the ridge line. I use the webbing on the outside of the tarp to suspend it from the ridgeline. I can also see white too, the tape is lifting as it goes over the velcro.

I am in scotland, its always heavy rain, hehe.

I would not normally have noticed this, as I have my insect netting up, and that would deflect the drops. As its winter I never bothered and it dripped on my bag so I noticed it. Come to think of it I remeber a wet patch on my netting the last time I used it, but I never thought any more about it.

I think some kind of sealant is in order. If I have to I will cut it off at the seam and just seal right over it.

I surgest you check yours when you are out in the rain. Just feel the loop and see if its wet.

MagiKelly

Making memories since '67
I have a few Tatonka tarps :rolleyes: and have had one that leaked. The problem was twofold. The way I had it set the ridge was not the highest point. The font of the tarp was higher as an awning so half the tarp was catching water to run over the seam. The way I had set the tarp the seam was the wrong way round and water was being forced into it. I got a few drips on that occasion. One was from the velcro loop so I cut it off, however the stitching holding it on is the same as the stitching fixing the seam so I had to re-sew the centre seem at this point.

After this I used seem sealant on the inside of the seam and tarp waterproofing spray on the outside of the tarp for about 12 inches each side of the seam. I have tested it since then and it is 100 waterproof again.

Even if it is not really causing a problem I hate to have drips coming from my tarp which is why I made really sure it was sealed after it had failed once.

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
Scuba Pete said:
All I can think of is cutting off the loop and getting some seam tape on there. I have never used this before so any help would be great.
Pete, can we assume that you put your tarp OVER the support line? If so could it be abrasion from the inside out that has caused the problem? :confused:

My current one is a generic MOD lighweight and so far it has held up but then I hang mine from the loops to reduce wear and I have only used it a handful of times.

Scuba Pete

Forager
Nov 3, 2005
Glasgow
My tarp is hung under the ridge line. I did this as I did not want to wear it out hanging it over the top. It has been setup that way a few times, but I did not notice any wear.

leon-1

You may want to have a look at PointNorth, I bought some spinnaker repair tape from them a while ago and it works well on most things or phone them up and ask them for thier advice. Look under Repair kits and Glues and do a search for tape. It will be in there under adhesive ripstop tape.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I've had exactly this problem with a tatonka tarp. So has Boxy (As scanker noticed at the moot).

I used a bicycle puncture repair kit to fix it (Or it might have been a repair kit from an air mattress - much the same thing either way)

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
leon-1 said:
You may want to have a look at PointNorth, I bought some spinnaker repair tape from them a while ago and it works well on most things or phone them up and ask them for thier advice. Look under Repair kits and Glues and do a search for tape. It will be in there under adhesive ripstop tape.

Cheers Leon, you just solved my problem with a hole in my tarp. :You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE