Le Prevo / Leatherwork

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I'm extremely jealous of the leather cover of Schwert's, in this thread:http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=9270#post126021 and fancy having a go at making my own, as it looks a reasonable first project.

I've seen Le Prevo mentioned a few times for leatherwork, but I'm a bit overwhelmed by the amount on the site and buying 10sq feet of hide etc.

Please feel free to chip in if I'm way off, but I presume I need some leather, an awl for making holes for the thread, the thread and a needle. Do I need some sort of hand protection - I saw a palm or something?

So my main questions:

What/which leather would be most suitable? (type, thickness, do I need to buy a whole hide or can I get offcuts)

Which thread?

What size needle?

Any particular awl?

Any other advice, suggestions or links to tutorials would be much appreciated.
TIA.
:)

L

Lost_Patrol

Give Le Prevo a ring and tell them what you are planning. I went there last week with the intention of making some knife sheaths. The man in the shop was extremely helpful. He even showed me how to thread the needle by feathering the thread and using beeswax. I can thoroughly recommend them.
When I was there, they had a selection of off cuts going cheap, which may be an ideal starting point for you.

:)

singteck

Settler
Oct 15, 2005
Malaysia
www.flickr.com
All you need is a piece of leather in the correct thickness.

Most of the other stuff you already have. They may not be the best but they work all the same.

Try a normal sewing needle with normal cotton thread for sewing. You may want to have a thicker needle that's not sharp. Tapestry needle works.

Something to mark the leather and stitching holes. Knife to cut leather. And lastly, something to ***** the marked stitching hole.

Then sew away.

The rest of the stuff you can collect later if you decide that you like it.

That's how I started out.

singteck

Note: if you can go to a leather shop, most of them have off cuts that you can buy at very cheap rate.

leon-1

I think the major thing that will be difficult would be choosing the correct grade of leather (weight / thickness).

Now I would guess at 1 - 1.5mm thickness, but that would only be a guess, but as some of the others have mentioned they are very helpfull so give them a ring and ask, on the occasions that I have dealt with them they have been very helpfull and informative.

They will even do themselves out of money by telling you about special offers that may suite your requirements.

Your list of supplies is realtively simple;

An Awl
Needles (as previously mentioned blunt)
Thread.
Leather in grade 'X'

You do not require an overstitch wheel as you could mark your holes with a pen and a ruler (one hole about every 4mm is pretty good), but they do make your life a little easier.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
Thanks for all the help. I've just spoken to them on the phone and they were extremely helpful, as people have said. They're sending me a sample, so I can check it's the colour and type I want, and they recommended 1-1.5mm, as you did Leon.

Cheers. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE