Laser Eye Surgery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What do you think about laser eye surgery?

• I, or someone I know, has had laser eye surgery with good results

Votes: 35 47.9%
  • I, or someone I know, has had laser eye surgery with neutral results

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I, or someone I know, has had laser eye surgery with poor results

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I am considering laser eye surgery

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • I have not thought about laser eye surgery

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • I would not consider laser eye surgery

Votes: 17 23.3%

• Total voters

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
An opthamic surgeon friend of a friend put it in perspective for me. He said the risk of significant damage was of the same order of magnitude as from playing squash, horse riding and contact martial arts all of which I've done at some time or another!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I had Lasek (not Lasik) about 15 months ago.

Pre op I had -5 dioptres of myopia in each eye. Could just about read 6/60 without glasses.
My acuity is now 6/4 both eyes on the Snellen chart.

Lasek is a surface treatment like PRK. The more popular alternative, Lasik, involves cutting a corneal flap (which never really heals- it can be lifted years later).

Lasik gives faster recovery time, and less pain, but flap-related complications can cause permanent loss in acuity.

The main complication of Lasek is corneal haze, which usually reduces over time.

I chose Lasek because I was not happy with the risk of flap-related complications and lack of long term data with Lasik- it is only around 8 years old. By contrast, Lasek is really a variant of PRK which is over 20 years old and more is known about it long term.

Lasik seems to give better results in those need ing higher correctons (over -6 D)

Its very important to do a lot of research and reading, and to know what your prescription is.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Matt, I had it done a couple of years ago. I wrote a pretty detailed description of the experience here somewhere about June or July time.

I was a +3.5 correction on both eyes and needed specs for just walking around. Nowadays the treatment has settled down to me using a set of +1.75 - +2.00 off the shelf specs for reading and close work only, other than that my life is spectacle free.

I did loads of research before I went and I even turned one clinic down after the consult, make sure they are using Wavefront Lasik - google it before you go for your consult. Also be aware that at some of the clinics the term 'Customer Adviser' should be changed to 'Commision Based Sales Agent'.

Afterwards, I wore some clear skydiving goggles immediately after the op and around and about the garden for a few days afterwards. I also wore a snorkelling mask when taking showers for a couple of weeks afterwards. Call me paranoid - but your eyeball is cut open and you can get an infection, so better safe than sorry. They tell you that everything settles down in a few weeks but I was still sensitive to air pressure and aircon for about a year afterwards, as for night blindness - I have no noticeable difference its still ok.

Other than that mate, its a doddle, go for it. If you want to ask me anything from a patients point of view you are welcome to PM me.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Matt, I had it done a couple of years ago. I wrote a pretty detailed description of the experience here somewhere about June or July time.

I was a +3.5 correction on both eyes and needed specs for just walking around. Nowadays the treatment has settled down to me using a set of +1.75 - +2.00 off the shelf specs for reading and close work only, other than that my life is spectacle free.

I did loads of research before I went and I even turned one clinic down after the consult, make sure they are using Wavefront Lasik - google it before you go for your consult. Also be aware that at some of the clinics the term 'Customer Adviser' should be changed to 'Commision Based Sales Agent'.

Afterwards, I wore some clear skydiving goggles immediately after the op and around and about the garden for a few days afterwards. I also wore a snorkelling mask when taking showers for a couple of weeks afterwards. Call me paranoid - but your eyeball is cut open and you can get an infection, so better safe than . They tell you that everything settles down in a few weeks but I was still sensitive to air pressure and aircon for about a year afterwards, as for night blindness - I have no noticeable difference its still ok.

Other than that mate, its a doddle, go for it. If you want to ask me anything from a patients point of view you are welcome to PM me.

Cheers Alex,

I'm slightly concerned though as I thought after a few hours you were fine rather than days or even weeks? :eek: I'm provisionally booked in for the treatment in mid October and have a meet organised for the end of November :confused:

I suppose I'll find out more in the consultation.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
My daughter took a few days before she was comfortable - and about 2 weeks for her vision to improve to its best level (which is now well in excess of 20/20). Then again, one of my friends who has just had it done said his vision was better than with glasses within a few hours.

My daughter felt that the sales people should have been more realistic in their description of the recovery rate. It could be very fast, but it could take longer than they say. Having said that, she is very pleased with the result.

This is what she told my friend:

"I also wanted to mention quickly about recovery time. Obviously everyone will vary with how long it takes but it took me longer than I think I had expected in my head and I started to worry a bit when there was no need for me to! I had mine done on a Thursday and went back to week after the weekend on the Monday. I was able to get to work ok although there was some blurriness still and I feel looking back I would have been better to have left it a couple more days. So overall it took about 5 days before I could use the computer comfortably and was able to see the screen clearly. It then took another week before I felt really happy with my vision overall. I went for my 3 month check-up the other day and my vision (although it was very good!) was still settling at this point. They did mention to me that my eyes had slightly unusual cells so this will have had some impact on my healing time and it may be a lot quicker for you. Don't get me wrong, after a week my vision was absolutely fine, it was more 'fine tuning' from that point onwards rather than it being an actual problem! I just thought it would be worth letting you know this as I had expected to walk out and have perfect vision a few hours later!"

Geoff

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Cheers Alex,

I'm slightly concerned though as I thought after a few hours you were fine rather than days or even weeks? :eek: I'm provisionally booked in for the treatment in mid October and have a meet organised for the end of November :confused:

I suppose I'll find out more in the consultation.

You'll be fine at the meet. I wore sunglasses out and about in public - doing the pop star thing wearing them in shops.

Its just that I read an article in a medical journal saying that most post-op complications were based around infections. It went on to say that by protecting the eyes with something you prevent the ingress of dirt and bugs, therefore reducing the risk of infection. I used a diving mask in the shower because a mate who is into sailing wore one after his op to stop salt water getting into the eyes when sailing and he also wore it in the shower.........and as I had a mask knocking around I thought why not. I have since swum regularly in a chlorinated pool without goggles and had no problems.

As DGC pointed out healing time varies. For about a year after I was still feeling the effects. I was attending lectures, the lecture hall was very well air conditioned which made my eyes feel dry and when the lights were dipped to use slides or screens I had a slight fuzzy double vision in the right eye..........all gone now though.

I can categorically state that I personally am happy with the outcome of my laser eye surgery.

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Cheers Geoff and Alex. Nice to know that it might not be exactly as Jonathan Edwards says in the Ultralase adverts 'within a few hours my vision was perfect'. :rolleyes: :cool:

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
For some people it is for some people it isn't! Like with everything everyone heals at their own rate. I'd say that although I got 20:20 vision quickley my eyes kept improving for for several months to the 20:10 and 20:15 they are now.
By the time I was back in the recovery room I was stunned by the improvement though!

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Wavefront Lasik.

Well,........How did the appointment go??????????????

It went very well, I am suitable for the procedure and was full steam ahead until the point when I was told the cost :lmao: .

I was quoted £1885 per eye. I had harboured hopes that it would cost about that total. I have been recommended Wavefront lasik (obviously - the most expensive :rolleyes: )

It works out at about £104 per month over 3 years so we are weighing it up. I am still provisionally booked in for the op andthere are a couple of unsure factors on the horizon that may sway issues that I can't really go into but all being well I am still wanting it done.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
No mate, I paid a grand an eye 2 years ago. They are taking the proverbial, I will dig out the address of the place I went to for you.........they take plarstick also.

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
Glasses hack me off. They get dusty, dirty, steam up, fall off when it's really not helpful and by the time I chuck a pair they're criss-crossed with scratches. Laser surgery seemed like a great idea. I did some research and considered the cost compared to new glasses every two or three years for the rest of my life. Everything seemed great. Then it transpired that my eyes are so hopeless that I would still have to wear glasses, albeit with thinner lenses, I rather lost interest in that idea.

Maybe in the future, but as it stands it would just be a waste of time and money.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Ultralase are the most expensive and make no secret of the fact, but all I can say is their service and follow was faultless, if you read the blog I posted earlier in the thread you'll see I had quite a few more followup appointments than usual and a whole load of prescription meds which was given without hesitation

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Not a "true bushcrafter" if you wear specs?

Oh ***:rolleyes:

Not at all, I consider myself as true a bushcrafter as any and if I do or don't have laser I consider myself neither more nor less.

This is in the 'off topic' forum after all but I imagine it has been a consideration of many bushies who wear gigs.

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Not at all, I consider myself as true a bushcrafter as any and if I do or don't have laser I consider myself neither more nor less.

This is in the 'off topic' forum after all but I imagine it has been a consideration of many bushies who wear gigs.

Kin ell, we are not looking for the master race are we?
As luck would have it my eyes are good at the moment but if needed I wouldn't hesitate to get corrective specs or surgery.

I can't say I would be asking a random bunch in internet chaps though, thats what doctors are for.

If it needs sorted and you can get it done then do it, but ask someone with a better idea than me for better input.

Regards Scott.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Hi All,

Why bother with the bright light thing when you can get contact lenses that you sleep in? I have been wearing 30 day (sleep in!) lenses for about 4 years now and think they are great. I take out my lenses on the last night of the month, just before bedy byes and put a new pair in, in the morning. My vision is BETTER than with my glasses (this is unusual though) and i can go out in all weathers without wiper blades or steaming up when i enter a warm building. Not good if you work in a dusty environment, but the contact lenses technology has moved on in leaps and bounds since the old "hard" lenses.

Get yourself down to Specsavers (No connection etc) and ask for a free trial.

Simon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE