Laser Eye Surgery

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What do you think about laser eye surgery?

• I, or someone I know, has had laser eye surgery with good results

Votes: 35 47.9%
  • I, or someone I know, has had laser eye surgery with neutral results

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I, or someone I know, has had laser eye surgery with poor results

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I am considering laser eye surgery

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • I have not thought about laser eye surgery

Votes: 4 5.5%
  • I would not consider laser eye surgery

Votes: 17 23.3%

• Total voters

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
I had my Blended Vision Wave Front Lasik eye surgery done here

http://www.londonvisionclinic.com/?u...serey eclinic

In February `07 and I can recommend LVC and Proffessor Dan Reinstien 100%.
After 20 years of Bi Focals it is great not to wear glasses!
Matt,
I am pleased that it went well. Do not be supprised if youe eyesight fluctuates for a while ( minute to minute, second to second). It will settle down.

Matt Weir

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Nice one Matt.....
This has been a good helpful thread for me as I would love to get rid of my glasses and its informative to hear others thoughts on it...
I often see ads saying eye surgery from £450....Is that an unrealistic figure, does anyone know. Sounds like you guys spent way more than that....

Jon,

I had the wavefrontplus (computer maps the contours of your eyes and uses that to perform a presact zapp) with lasik (the flap is cut by laser rather that a scalpel so is more presact)

I like presaction when it comes to cutting and burning part of my eyeballs ;)

[Presactly is a word invented by Zippy of Rainbow fame and is an amalgamation of the words precisely and exactly so I hope you can see why I use it in reference to having folk poke about with my eyes :D]

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
I had my Blended Vision Wave Front Lasik eye surgery done here

http://www.londonvisionclinic.com/?u...serey eclinic

In February `07 and I can recommend LVC and Proffessor Dan Reinstien 100%.
After 20 years of Bi Focals it is great not to wear glasses!
Matt,
I am pleased that it went well. Do not be supprised if youe eyesight fluctuates for a while ( minute to minute, second to second). It will settle down.

I have been told to expect that Steve and yes, I have had it happen but - wow [shakes head] amazing isn't it?!?! :D

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Bon matin Monsieur Matt,

welcome to the club mate :) .

Interested to hear they do the flap with a laser now also rather than using a keratome (tichy tiny little scalpel that cuts a flap).

I had annoyance with mine for a year afterwards but that only lasted for a minute or two maybe one or two times a week. I think it was mainly to do with the air-con environment I was in at the time causing a drying effect on the cornea. I found that if I thought I was going to have a problem and used hypromellose eyedrops I did not have a problem - I had little bottles of eye drops everywhere for a few months, not anymore though.

I was told that because I am an old git any way I would probably need specs for the natural myopia we all suffer with age. They were right, a couple of years later I wear a pair of off the shelf Boots (other chemist are available) specs for reading, writing and comping - BUT OTHER THAN THAT I AM HAPPILY SPEC FREE FOR WALKING, DRIVING AND MOOCHING AROUND - AND I WEAR NON-PRESCRIPTION SHADES. I am very, very happy with that.

Matt, enjoy the feeling :)

PS I just noticed you edited your avatar.

dtalbot

Jan 7, 2004
Derbyshire
Nice one Matt.....
This has been a good helpful thread for me as I would love to get rid of my glasses and its informative to hear others thoughts on it...
I often see ads saying eye surgery from £450....Is that an unrealistic figure, does anyone know. Sounds like you guys spent way more than that....

Yep,
That price is only for a very low prescription and Ultralase told me that at the level of prescription the £450 covers they would say you didn't need surgery as you wouldn't need specs most of the time!

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
£450.00 is the hook to get you in the door.

Talking of surgery where you would not need specs most of the time anyway......ALLEGEDLY......Tiger Woods had it done to improve already 20:20 vision, apparently the thinking behind it was that he would be able to more clearly see flags n the green.

Also, when B**ts where doing the ops they would not take anyone with a prescription of something like + 2.00 or - 2.00. The logic as told to me was that minimal surgery would be required therefore minimising the risk of any failure to them. I know, I enquired and got turned down witha correction of +3.00 at the time.

Saying that though, one of the things that convinced me it was safe was that one of the wife's assistants had it done by B**t's and her own sister was the surgeon for her procedure.

The cheapest place I found was the USA, where you can get the Wavefront for about £1000.00 - £1200.00. My only issue being that if it cocked up the hospital bills a very high in the USA and its a long way to go for the regular post op check ups.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Thought I'd bump this thread as I'm going in this afternoon to have my eyes fried. How did it go Matt?

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
Thought I'd bump this thread as I'm going in this afternoon to have my eyes fried. How did it go Matt?

Great Shep. Don't worry, the procedure is very quick and painless. It's bee 4 weeks now and I still try to take my gigs off as I step into the shower. Weird :lmao:

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Thanks Matt.
Gotta agree it's great. It hurt a lot for about 4 hours, then was fine. This morning I was blown away by the view of the tree-tops from my bedroom window in the dawn light and my checkup this morning says I'm one better than 20/20 already. Cool.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE