Optics for the outdoors

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I always enjoy a walk in the woods. Yet, simply by making sure you have the wind in your face and your binoculars around your neck, you can magnify this simple pleasure a hundred fold. I am constantly amazed by how much more can be seen with some kind of optical aid. For example, in the Northern Highlands recently, I could see bare heather clad hills and no deer. The deer were there though - and a few minutes 'glassing' the hill with telescope or binoculars showed me what other people were missing.

In woodland, binoculars allow you to focus at different distances and 'see through' the trees. At dusk and dawn, the light gathering power of 8x42mm binoculars far exceeds the 1x7mm Mark One Eyeball. This is important for bushcraft folk, who in camp often get up at dawn for 'the dingo's breakfast' (Aussie slang for 'a stretch, a leak, and a damn good look around.')

I am not an expert, but I am genuinely interested in optics, have read widely, have a scientific background, and at the Game Fair you will often find me at the Zeiss or Leica tent trying out their latest wares. I'm going to set down my thoughts on optics for the bushcrafter. You may disagree, and if so, please post your disagreements!

Binoculars described as '8x40' mean that they make the image eight times bigger, and the objective lens (that furthest from your eye) has a diameter of 40mm. If you divide the second number by the first (40/8=5mm) you get the 'exit pupil'. This is the diameter of the light coming out through the eyepiece, and the bigger it is, the brighter the image, and the better the performance in dim conditions. It therefore follows that big objective lenses and lower magnification mean a brighter image.

However, the human pupil only dilates up to 6 or 7mm, and for people over 40 it is even less than that. So an exit pupil over 6 or 7mm carries little advantage. Also, large objective lenses mean heavy, cumbersome binoculars.

About 2/3 of birdwatchers use 8x binos, the remainder being 7x, 8.5x, 9x or 10x. Bushcraft people spend a lot of time in woodland where a bright image is important, and I would advocate 7x or 8x. I myself have a 10x42 pair, but that is because I spend time on the open hill (red deer stalking) and the estuary (wildfowling) where distances are greater. For woodland use you want 7x or 8x.

Birders often say that 8x30s will show you all the detail that is there 90% of the time. The other 10% is dusk, dawn, and dim woodland, and I believe the bushcrafter should consider 8 (or 7)x42 as a better option.

In order to give a good image, the eyepiece and objective lenses need to be a good distance apart. There are three ways of doing this.
optics029.jpg
[/IMG]

The binoculars on the left (Steiner 8x30 Fero D12) use 'porro prisms'. The light is bent 90 degrees by a prism, and then a further 90 degrees by a second prism, so the eyepiece and objective lens are not in the same line.

The binoculars in the middle (Helios AM6 8x42) use 'roof prisms'. The light is bent forwards and then backwards, and the objective lenses are directly in front of the eyepiece.

The telescope on the left (USSR 10x30 Turist 3)does not have any prisms, and so a long metal tube is needed. The optical quality is good, and chromatic aberration (purple fringing of high contrast objects, such as a bird against a bright sky) is very low. However, it is awkward to use for quick observation.

Porro prism binoculars are cheaper to make, so a £100 porro bino will usually be optically far superior to a £100 roof prism. Also, the porro binos give a better '3D' effect at short range. The downside is that the porro is bulkier, arguably less robust, and very difficult to make fully waterproof, compared to a roof prism. Of the top three manufacturers, Leica and Zeiss have stopped making porro binos, and Swarovski are soon to discontinue theirs.

The better roof prisms are filled with dry nitrogen and fully waterproof. One disadvantage of roof prisms compared to porros is that roof prisms introduce a 'phase error' which reduces brightness and sharpness. However, Zeiss developed the P* phase correction around 1990 to solve this problem and now all high end roof prisms have phase correction. The interesting thing here is that modern £100 Chinese roof prisms with phase correction have been shown to outperform older (pre 1990) non phase-corrected Zeiss Dialyts that cost three times as much - see: http://www.holgermerlitz.de/dialyt10x40.html
Newer does mean better.

So, what is the best choice in optics for bushcrafting? In one way, that is a simple question - I would suggest the Leica Duovid 8-12x42. It is waterproof, nitrogen filled, has phase correction, gives you the option of 8x or 12x, is very bright, built like a tank, rubber armoured, keeps its value and is used by Ray Mears. It also costs £1200.

I don't have that sort of disposable income, but here are some recommended and not-recommended choices:

Recommended

Circa £600
8x42 current production roof prisms by Zeiss, Leica or Swarovski

Circa £400
RSPB FG 8x42 roofs. Japanese made, very good images.
Kahles 8x42. Austrian, well regarded in the hunting community.
Nikon Superior E Porros. not waterproof but optically good
Swarovski Porros. Not waterproof but optically good.
High end Minox/Steiner

£100 to £300
Various waterproof, nitrogen filled Chinese or (better) Japanese made 8x42 roofs with phase correction. This is important. Phase correction seems to be only used on the better models and genuinely improves the brightness and sharpness. Examples include Bushnell Excursion, Nikon Monarch, Viking, Avian, some RSPB, and the Japanese Helios High resolution AM6. The Helios goes for around £200 and I bought a nearly new pair for £50 on ebay. Compared to the £600 Leica equivalent it has slightly more chromatic aberration and is slightly less bright, but the difference is not great. It was voted best buy by one of the magazines.

Under £100
There are some good non phase corrected 8x42 roofs- I have heard that Maushaus and Strathspey are good. The Viking Navigator at £100 impressed me greatly.
East German Carl Zeiss Jena porros Available on ebay £40 up. Optically good but not weatherproof. Avoid Japanese copies: http://www.holgermerlitz.de/jenoptem.html I feel ebay prices are a bit high. Try the local camera shop!
The Hensoldt D16 (German army surplus) is in fact a Zeiss and got a good write up. The laser protection filters make the image slightly darker but it is very robust. Available cheaply used from German ebay and definitely superior to my Steiner D12s which preceeded it. http://www.holgermerlitz.de/zeiss8x30.html
Kern (Swiss) also got good reviews.
Russian Porros are a bit of a mixed bag. I have a 8x30 Russian monocular which is excellent,
optics012.jpg
[/IMG] and both the RSPB and Scottish wildlife Trust use the bino equivalent for visitors. Available cheaply on ebay. Many have a slight yellow cast, which I don't mind as it improves contrast. However, I and others have seen Russian binos that have been rather dim and dubiously collimated. I think this is rare though and I still favour them The Russian telescopes are very good.

Not Recommended

Cheap 8x20 Chinese made roofs, especially with red lenses. They seem okay until you try them next to something decent. A friend had one and could not believe how much better my Russian 8x30 (costing only £15) was in terms of brightness and clarity. Having said that, even cheap optics are usually sharp in the centre of the field and will show you more than the naked eye.
Chinese binos marked 'Minox'. Minox are quality German optics. For some reason some cheap binos have Minox written on them. Don't be misled.
Barska. Lots of adverse comment on the net. I tried some in a shop and felt ill. Avoid.
Pre 1990 Zeiss/Leica roof prisms. These do not have phase coatings and are simply not as good as post 1990 models, yet they still command high prices on ebay..
Anything pre 1960. They will have no lens coating or just single layer coatings.

Usual disclaimers: I have no connection with any firm, your mileage may vary, etc, etc.

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Nice post!

Time will tell how reliable or otherwise the variable power feature proves to be in the Leica you mention

I was Zeiss man until they dropped the "Night Owl" range (bl--dy heavy I know but lovely to use) and now feel Swarvoski have moved ahead of them.

Cheers

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Hey Doc. Thanks for the post. I always enjoy your thoughts on this subject. So much so that I managed to track down a Turist telescope! Brilliant and a very good price.
I seem to have an eclectic range of optics for comparison now which may be of interest.... Or not!

The first is a one draw naval telescope c 1795 approx 9x40 about .750mm (29 1/2'') long. This is quite powerful although dim. It is made of a timber tube covered with leather. The objective lens is held in a brass ring and the eye glass is in another brass tube that pulls out about 125mm (5'') to focus. You certainly would have seen ships in the distance with this, but whether friend or foe would have been hard to tell.

The second is a pair of Zeiss bins C 1950 typical of the race goers of that era (my grandfather) 7x50. Still good today, although by comparison to item three are nearly ranked with the old telescope for dimness. (perhaps a little harsh!)

The third is a pair of Monk Argonaut bins c 1998 7x50. These knocked the spots off anything else I saw at that years boat show. I think I paid about £200.00 These are nitrogen filled, fully waterproof rubber armored and the warranty is still going untill 2008. I would put these in the reccomended £100-£300 range. Monk have a good website. I think it is www.monkoptics.co.uk

Finaly the Turist telescope. What a find! I agree on the difficulty of quick observation but for spotting I am very pleased. The children have enjoyed moongazing too. Thanks for the info on that one Doc.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks Swyn. The current incarnation of the Monk Argonaut got a best buy award from a yachting magazine. A few years back Anchor Surplus were selling various kit left over from the Camel Trophy - including Monk binos so I suspect they may have been selected for Camel trophy use too. I am not sure where they are made - possibly one of the quality Japanese manufacturers?

Some of the light entering a lens is reflected and does not pass through, so light is lost at every air/glass interface. After WW2 it was found that coating the lens with magnesium fluoride reduces the reflections and gives a brighter image. Modern lenses have multi layer coatings that are even better. This is why old telescopes seem a but dim to modern eyes. However, there are still WW2 vintage Ross telescopes in use by highland deer stalkers.

The Turist 3 20x50 Russian draw telescope is indeed excellent kit. The image is almost as good as my Gray and Co 25x50 stalking telescope that currently retails at nearly £900. Not bad for a £30 scope! The 10x30 Turist scope in the picture is beautifully made and very sharp. I think it cost me £5 on ebay.

Klenchblaize - I like the idea of the Leica Duovid's variable power as potentially you can leave the telescope at home. It is new and time will tell how reliable, but Leica offer a reassuring warranty.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Good topic, binos really do add something even if it's just watching a Robin sing.

I'd include Opticron binos in your £100 - £300 range, they make some excellent mid price optics.

My 10x42 Countryman BGA are fantastic.

My top tip is to go to a good dealer and have a good look through a selection so you can see the differences and make a choice. If you're nice you'll then pay the bit extra and get them from the dealer who's provided you with that facility rather than sneak off and buy them online :D

Scoops

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Scoops is right about comparing models. Ideally go to an RSPB optics day or a gamefair so you aren't squinting down the high street.

Opticron make good mid range binos and their Oasis models are arguably in the same league as the 'big three'.

Many makers such as Bushnell, Viking, Luger, Helios, etc put their own name on Chinese or Japanese made binos. Typically they range from £50 up to £400 and to a good extent you get what you pay for.

Birdforum have a Bushnell forum here:http://www.birdforum.net/archive/index.php/f-448

and other makes here:http://www.birdforum.net/archive/index.php/

The cheapest Bushnell (Trophy) can be had for low prices on ebay. I've not tried it but it is reported to be good for £60, although it will not close focus as well as some models (not a problem except for butterflies/garden birds, I would say). The Bushnell excursion and Legend are phase coated and better but dearer. I spoke to a Danish stalker who had Bushnell binos and he was pleased with them.

For the best optical quality, if spending less than £80-100 or so I might well go with a porro rather than a roof. The porros are bulkier though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE