Do you use contact lenses or glasses when outdoors?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Bit of an unusual question, not sure if contacts and specs count as clothing or kit, but hear me out.

I've been wearing glasses for astigmatism for the past four years. I can see without them fair enough mostly, but to do so to make out any fine detail either up close or afar (such as you would for reading or driving) means squinting to focus, and that means aching eyes and headaches - not fun. The glasses solve this just fine, and for most of the time they don't interfere with what I'm doing.

But going up Cadair Idris this last summer, I could hardly see a thing with them on, they were so misted up with the heat coming off me and then they were so streaked with sweat that got on them. Shooting with glasses on isn't ideal either - they interfere with my eye relief and I'm never sure how to set things up with them on. In the rain specs are a bother as you see nothing but beaded up raindrops on your lenses, and when you come inside after being out in the cold you get 'fog-up'. Taking them off eliminates these problem but it's not ideal as then I'm back to the Mk1 eyeball and if I want to be able to focus on something I have to keep on getting them out of my pack. They can also be a bugger to keep clean, and I've had a few pairs broken (dog sat on one, a windswept door to my face broke the others). They're pricey to replace too, which needs doing every few years with a change of prescription, regardless of me breaking any pairs or not.

'Aha', thinks I, 'contacts will be more practical for this!'. Well I've gotten myself tested for them and gotten a few trial pairs from Boots, but whenever I try to put them in I invariably just end up poking myself in the eyes for an hour and achieving nothing except red and sore eyeballs. This is in the bathroom with a mirror, a clean environment, no time pressure and the ability to wash my hands beforehand. Whilst I'm sure contacts would be a good option once in, I'm thinking that the chances of getting them in when bleary-eyed at 5am in a wood one morning isn't high, and the chances of losing them or getting myself an eye infection is much more likely.

If I add in that contacts can only be worn 12-14hrs of the day, aren't good for swimming or if you get dirt or sand behind them, need another pair carrying for each day and just generally seem to be a big fuss, then I'm leaning back towards glasses, even with all their shortcomings.

As contacts are in a solution I'm guessing they could freeze in their packets in the winter, and as the lens is plastic based I'm guessing they could melt on your eye in an absolute worst case scenario (empty case ejected and hits you in the eye, or get too close to that fire or flaring up stove). That's not something I'm expecting to happen by the way, but still!

Another point is that they don't do soft contacts (at least not easily) in my prescription, (apparently that's too much to be catered for but they have got me lenses that are almost what I need), so although my vision with them is way better than without, it's still not as sharp as with glasses. It may well work fine for 99% of the time, but it would be super irritating to go down the contacts route, get them to work for me, and still not be able to make some things out or be able to read without squinting.

So the question is: those of us with under 20/20 vision, do you use either glasses or contacts and which do you prefer when outdoors? Is it worth persevering with the contacts (I'm trying them for outdoors stuff only really, I'm happy with glasses for day-to-day use) or are they really not practical when sleeping out and living basic? What do you find best to use, any tips or advice?

P.S: laser eye surgery isn't an option :p

Thanks!
Beardy

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I use a standard pair of glasses for 40% of stuff and a pair of decent sunglasses fitted with a perscription lens for the other 60%.

This set up works for me fine. A hat with a wide brim Tilley T3 et al works well to keep rain drops off of lenses in wet weather. I invested in a couple of decent padded cases for glasses and these work well.

I personally find shooting is not a problem with eyewear with binos I just use the diopter set for me.

HTH

EdS

yes both. Generally glasses, but when on the lash or climbing/canoeing - daily disposables. Basically, if the is a chance of loosing glasses ie - fall, dunking, stagger contacts as experience has shown the dailyes are cheaper to replace than glasses. But by and large glasses as less hassle.

Beardy

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 28, 2010
UK
Cheers everyone, glad to see I'm not the only one having dramas with using contacts for the first time!

EdS, same as I was thinking, I'd rather not have to fork out silly money the next time I get glasses broken. But it's a lot of faff trying to put the contacts in. I'm seriously doubting if it's ever going to be practical for me to do so when out and about.

I think I have naturally quite narrow eyes and quite prominent cheeks (I have even been mistaken as being from Asia before now, which I'm not) so this might be what's getting in the way between lens and eye - they always seem to get caught up on my lashes, or just not come off of my fingertip at all.

The hat idea is a good one to keep the beads of rain off, cheers Johnboy. Can I ask, how do you shoot with specs, do you leave them on, flip them up onto your forehead whilst you get your eye up to the lens? Increase the eye relief to accommodate the glasses or just leave it be? I have been shooting without them as I've often got my eye not very far from the scope and I've not wanted to get my specs smashed by any recoil, but obviously this isn't ideal! And does setting the diopter really allow you to use bino's without glasses? I've been trying to look through them!

Haven't tried contacts yet, so for me it's glasses, prescription sunglasses, and very important, spare pair in the pack.
So always a wide brimmed hat in wet weather.
Glasses needn't be that expensive these days. If you have a current prescription, glassesdirect or one of the other online suppliers will do you a decent pair for around £50 - £60.

Bush Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2009
New Forest
My contacts are up there with the passport and credit card when I go on holiday!

If you can get daily disposables they are fantastic for outdoor activities. In general I find they are protective of the eye rather than cause problems – there is an increased risk of infection but this is easily mitigated with correct hygiene – in every kit I have you will find hand cleanser! Getting them in is just practice, 10+ yrs later I don’t even think.

Recommendation is definitely max 12 hrs a day however I average more like 18hrs, you can tell when you overdo it. I wear them for swimming almost daily – with goggles perfect, without I reckon I’ll loose them 50% of the time. Sand and dirt I find is no different to normal irritants. Freezing – I haven’t experienced, had them in my ski bag in -10 all over Christmas and didn’t happen. Melting – well if it melts the plastic it would have taken your cornea out!

It is a lot more hassle with hard or non-disposable lenses though.

So I reckon persevere if you can get disposables - the benefit is a lot in not being bothered about loosing them.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Contact lenses. My eyes can handle the "sleep in them" kinds, so that is what I do. No issues at all.

Ditto, 30 day disposables from Specsavers, toric lenses for astigmatism, they cost slightly more than normal 30day lenses but are well worth it.

Wake up in the morning, blink a few times and hey presto - I can see. I haven't had that since I was a kid!

Simon

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I normally wear glasses if out for any length as you get the added protection from tree branches poking your eyes. I do sometimes wear contacts for the weekend though if I can be bothered. I don't have disposable ones either due to astigmatism in one eye so it means the faff of properly cleaning my hands and solution and all that. You can get travel sized bottles of solution or just use saline for a couple nights so it's not too much hassle. Once you get used to contacts you can easily put them in by feel without a mirror.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Glasses for me; have been wearing them for 40+ years so have nearly got used to them now !
They are a nuisance at times, especially as you describe when hill walking in mist and rain. I carry microfibre lens cleaning cloths as a daily routine for wiping them, and as others have said, wearing a wide-brimmed hat or a peaked hood in the rain helps a bit. If I'm hillwalking in winter I carry a pair of ski goggles to wear over the glasses.
I always have a spare pair in my rucksac and another spare pair in the car in case of emergencies.
If I'm sailing, kayaking or canoeing then I make sure they are held in place with an elastic sports strap, and have a back-up pair in a drybag.
Good luck!
Cheers,
Doug

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I'm wearing contacts on a daily basis (for 10 years now). Can't stand glasses. I find them to be annoying on my nose and I'm lazy: I want to move my eyes to look at something, rather than my whole head with glasses ... And I'm better looking without glasses ;)

So I'm wearing contacts in the field aswell. I'm on the look out for those 24/7 type - but they don't seem to be generally available overhere.

Only thing have to take into account is bring enough saline stuff and have clean hands when you take them out / put them in. Untill now, I never had an infection of any kind to my eyes.

As Doug says above, it's wise to take a spare set (contacts in this case). I lost one lens at the Moot last year, while I put them in (in my hammock - it can be done), glad I had a spare set!!

Last edited:

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
I'm a glasses wearer, i'm -2.0 left and -1.0 right with astigmatism in both. i've been using contacts for contact and adventure sports, when i airsoft i wear them and when i was doing aikido i would wear them mostly just to see sensei clearly for the moves :D
my optician gave me slightly stronger lenses to help with the astigmatism as i don't have enough of that rugby ball shape to use torrics, tbh as soon as i heard of torrics i asked about them immediately. i get an odd sensation where, when wearing my glasses i'm right eye dominant, when wearing my lenses i'm left eye dominant due to the clarity i get out of my left over right (right eye more astigmatic)

I've got on better with daily disposables then anything else, getting them in isn't an issue anymore (you get used to it) and whipping them out.
the only thing i really hate is when you've had very little sleep and you either get the lense in backwards or you get an eyelash behind it (OUCH!) however a small tip is keep your eye solution in the fridge, those early mornings it'll feel lovely and cool on your eyes when you pop em in.

Mojoracinguk

Nomad
Apr 14, 2010
Hereford
I was given the 24/7 Contacts and was over the moon with them for 6 months before they reacted with my eyelid (I was told the silicon? in them caused irritation in my case)
after a year or so of glasses they tried again with contacts but I can't get prescribed the 24/7 type any more as they will not take the risk (given that i'm Diabetic)
daily lenses are ok but i'm just too used to glasses now....if i'm off running i need to use a head band to stop them falling...in the rain or when taking clothing off/on i really wish i had contacts...btu in the main Glasses are easier to pick up and put on (unless you go through that poking yourself in the eye routine for a month or so (I think most folk start out like that)

In short Glasses....but wish i could go back to the 24/7 contacts.
Mojo

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
I used to be a contacts person all the way until my arms became too short to see the map clearly :lmao: So now mostly glasses but I've just got a dome magnifier so I'm going to try the contacts again. Reading glasses, I find, are too much hassle outdoors.

Hard contacts take a lot more getting used to than soft ones according to my friend who's an optician.

If you are trying the soft ones the daily disposables are a right pain - they are so thin they fold over as soon as you look at them. The monthly ones are a thicker material and easier to handle so it might be worth starting off with them until you are used to putting them in / taking out.

My top tip is to make sure the finger you're going to balance the lens on is absolutely dry before you start, otherwise so much of the lens sticks to your finger it just won't come off on your eye.

A friend has some you can wear for a month at a time. Mind you he so hates the thought of poking himself in the eye when he puts them in he gets his wife to do it for him.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
I've had glasses since I was 5 or 6 - other 30 years now.

I also have an evilly heavy prescription - both eyes well over -10 (the left eye's about -18) and astigmatism as well. I just get on with glasses.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I tend towards glasses when out bushcrafting.
It's difficult to keep everything clean in the woods, and I'd rather not get an eye infection.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE