Lars Falt book Outdoor Life in Summer

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 10, 2008
Australia
Has anyone read this book? Amazon doesn't have any preview or reviews so it's not obvious whether it's a bushcraft book or just about camping. Any opinions? I'm assuming it's a translation from a Swedish language original, so comments from anyone who's read the Swedish version are welcome.

Also does anybody have a link to the Swedish Army survival manuals? The links I had are now dead.

chas brookes

Life Member
Jun 20, 2006
west sussex
If this is the one I have a copy and it is a very informative book and well laid out

Dan1982

Jan 14, 2006
Cumbria
I have it too. slightly more basic than I'd imagined but again, very informative and nicely illustrated. Worth getting for sure.

Reactions: chas brookes
Jul 10, 2008
Australia
Chas & Dan thanks for your replies. Would you say that it was a bushcraft or survival book or more of a camping book? I have some "survival " books where their idea of a survival kit is a rucksack full with tent, sleeping bag, food and propane stove! If someone could post the Table of Contents that would be helpful.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Chas & Dan thanks for your replies. Would you say that it was a bushcraft or survival book or more of a camping book? I have some "survival " books where their idea of a survival kit is a rucksack full with tent, sleeping bag, food and propane stove! If someone could post the Table of Contents that would be helpful.
If I remember correctly from the winter one, it was more about how to do trips in winter wilderness well (eg tour planning, gear choice, camp set up and admin, health and injuries, how to deal with emergencies), rather than "if you got picked up in the city and dropped into the woods with what's in your suit pockets only".

Reactions: Erbswurst

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Reactions: Erbswurst and Corso

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'd say it was more of a general outdoors and camping book than anything specifically bushcraft or survival orientated. It is interesting to flick through and appears to have been pretty well translated. The illustrations are a refreshing, if retro, change from photographs. I have to admit, I've enjoyed flicking through it and reading the bits and pieces that I have.

LapplandBrummie

Apr 13, 2021
Swedish Lapland
It's a book that encourages trips in the outdoors, for sure. A little bushcraft, a little camping, a little canoeing, etc.

I work for Casström, and we have wanted to translate his books for a number of years, as we have enjoyed reading the Swedish versions and wanted to bring them to a wider audience.

We are now four books into the series and we're currently working on one that is more survival-oriented. Hoping to get that one out by the summer. After that, we have this urge to sit Lars down and get some of his recollections and experiences on paper. There are some great stories to tell in that, trust me!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE