Large, decent, low-cost backpack/rucksack?

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
This pack caught my eye, but it's on the expensive side as far as I'm concerned. Can I get anything as good/better, cheaper (£95 or less)?

I am a great fan of the highlander forces range. So much cheaper and just really good. There's a few of us on here that rate them. I've got three in diferent sizes - up to 88 - and they are all great.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Yup, thumbs up for the Highlander Forces range from me as well.
Mind you, looking at your price range, I'd be tempted by the Rocket Pak as well.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I got a cracker off ebay for £40 quid mint condition.

Gregory Z pack

it has been a classic for years, light as a feather and well constructed top spec waterproof material and zips throughout.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
The Highlander Forces 88 that I have is quite a nice bit of kit imo. Especially for the money. I rate it higher than a couple of other (more expensive) rucksacks that I've used and use it on all of my outings these days.

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
Yep another big up for the Highlander Forces packs.

forces_88.jpg

Some info here . .

http://www.surplusandadventure.com/shopscr3369.html

No affiliations etc. just really like these packs. :approve:

Kev

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Hi Levi,

My large pack is the PLCE standard 120L monster which was cheap but DPM fabric which I am less keen on. I recently wanted a ~40L bag and looked at the Highlander TT Patrol Pack. It has a short back which could make it tiring for heavy loads but I am finding it great for day / weekend trips. I also like the longer side pouches which will swallow a 1L thermos quite easily.

Highlander_TT.jpg

If the build quality is similar on the other bags in their range I would happily recommend trying them. For general purpose use I think it is very sturdy and I managed to pick one up for £35. Happy camper.

Not associated with the company etc. etc.

Cheers,
Steve

Claudiasboris

Life Member
Feb 8, 2009
Sheffield
Hi,

The best way to pick a bag is to try it on, especially if you're going to be carrying it for a long time. Everybody's body is different and different packs will different to every body.

Other things to consider are:

Is weight important? extra zips, pockets, buckles, etc all add weight

Do you want side pockets/2 compartments/other variations? I don't really like side pockets as I find they get in the way. But they're great for putting handy stuff in or for keeping fuel/dirty stuff away from clothes/sleeping bag, etc.

What do want to use it for? Will you be trekking? Backpacking? Climbing/scrambling? Cycling? Carrying from the car to the tent/tarp/tipi/yurt?

Hope I'm being useful and not a nuisance!
Claudiasboris

Levi

Feb 11, 2007
North Yorks.
Hi,

The best way to pick a bag is to try it on, especially if you're going to be carrying it for a long time. Everybody's body is different and different packs will different to every body.

Of course, but it's difficult to find a local shop with a decent range (the 'local' surplus shop is a 50 mile round-trip. There are a few camping stores closer, but they only carry 1 or 2 bags in the 65lt+ sizes), so it's a case of figuring out what's decent and then finding a place that stocks it to try it on.

Other things to consider are:

Is weight important? extra zips, pockets, buckles, etc all add weight

Do you want side pockets/2 compartments/other variations? I don't really like side pockets as I find they get in the way. But they're great for putting handy stuff in or for keeping fuel/dirty stuff away from clothes/sleeping bag, etc.

Weight isn't as important as toughness/cost, and I quite like the added versatility that comes with extra straps/pockets etc.

What do want to use it for? Will you be trekking? Backpacking? Climbing/scrambling? Cycling? Carrying from the car to the tent/tarp/tipi/yurt?

Hope I'm being useful and not a nuisance!
Claudiasboris

It'll probably never go on more than a 2 mile hike (between a car and destination, and just storage at home).

Not a nuisance at all :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Of course, but it's difficult to find a local shop with a decent range (the 'local' surplus shop is a 50 mile round-trip. There are a few camping stores closer, but they only carry 1 or 2 bags in the 65lt+ sizes), so it's a case of figuring out what's decent and then finding a place that stocks it to try it on.

Weight isn't as important as toughness/cost, and I quite like the added versatility that comes with extra straps/pockets etc.

It'll probably never go on more than a 2 mile hike (between a car and destination, and just storage at home).

Not a nuisance at all :)

Does what bag matter that much on a two mile hike? It won't kill you really so just get a £20 Bergen, think what you can buy with the £70 you have saved:)

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
You might want to look at a PLCE longback Bergen in OD They come up in the classifieds here sometimes The whole rig can be got for under £50 and if you are very lucky probably a lot less
The main difference (I think) is that the standard Bergen has a higher waistbelt as it is meant to have military belt kit worn below it
I also think OD while not exactly unmilitary(is that a word?) is far less likely to draw attention than DPM

You get top quality durability and versatility if you add the side pouches and Yoke which can be made into a smaller daysack for gear needed when you are bimbling away from your basecamp.
Of course you can just use the main bag without the side pouches as well
I have this set up and fully loaded a couple of miles and more is fine
I wouldn't use it if I was walking long distances all day though
Its a big old beast
Hope you find a suitable solution
I think the general advice to look at lots of different options and marry that up to your needs is very sound indeed

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE