Laptop battery dissatisfaction

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Have got another (secondhand) machine.

The battery lasts just over an hour...I am not pleased.

However it charges like a blooming bull, so because of this I assume the battery is in good nick.

the machine is an Acer Extensia 5620

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
lithium laptop batteries are usually heavily abused. most people keep them plugged in and never cycle them. the result is a battery that charges but doesnt hold the charge. Its usually just one bad cell, hence why i buy second hand batteries to harvest 18650 cells from them

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You can try and optimise your battery use and also there are techniques for resetting battery memory on older laptops. But not so long ago 1-2 hrs was about standard.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
I have no idea how old this machine is.

my old laptop (I have had it 6 years and it was second hand even then.) has a battery that lasts three hours.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
New batteries can be had cheaply on ebay, so no big deal really. I got one for my Acer (well I say 'my' but its on loan to me, extended loan...) for 26 quid delivered. But that only lasts two hours now if I'm lucky due to being left plugged in a lot...

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
Hmm... the battery on my Sony Vaio conked out recently. I've had it almost five years, and bought it second-hand back then... The keyboard has a few unreliable keys, too, so I had been thinking of replacing it with something more modern... but replacing the battery might be worth it.

I have a torch that takes 18650 cells, so if the battery in the Vaio is made up of a few of those cells, I could test cell by cell to find which is dead. Or is it better to replace all the cells at once?

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
laptop batteries use very high quality cells so dropping in a cheap torch cell isnt going to be a good idea. Go for a new one on ebay and use the cells in the old one for your torch

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE