Lapp Puukko

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Does anyone know how far the tang extends down the handle of the Lapp Puukko?
Is full tang all the way, but with a wider construction and half the same but with a thinner width?
It would seem to me that if a blade only went down a bit of the blade then it would just come out?!
Could anyone enlighten me?

Thanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
Pukkos usually have a narrow tang which some times extends to the end of the handle, where it is usually peened over a butt cap to secure the handle. Other times a shorter tang will be inserted into a hole in the handle and secured by glue or epoxy resin. The plastic handled work knifes like the Moras or Frosts *Clipper* feature a short stub tang which the handle is formed onto. Any of the methods desribed above will give you a fine serviceable knife, lets face it these designs have been in use for thousands of years.

Cheers

Shaun

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
the tang on the lapp puukko extends right though the handle to the brass plate on the pummel

it starts of the width of the blade and tapers towards the pummel (rat tail)
the tang is as thick as the blade is (3mm) for its entire length

the BCUK team hammered a lapp puukko 4cm into a hazel tree across the grain and jumped up and down on the handle, the puukko survived
I have a video of this that i could e-mail you

the handle is definatly not going to come out

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
Dear all.

This is one film not to be missed this year!!...............how do I know? This poor bugger was hammered into a tree in my woodland!

Will post more when people have hit fever pitch!.........................

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Stew said:
Stu,

I've been waiting to see the movie for a while now, just been waiting for it to be released. I'm up for a laugh! :)

Could you e-mail it to me please.

I've only got the hi quality version which is nearly 5mb for two, one hammering and one bouncing on it!

al

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
kent
i just watched it , unreal!!!, then i looked at my puukko and gave it a fatherly hug :-D ,

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Its a beautiful blade! I am in the process of re handling it. Though the lovely burr I'd put aside disintegrated as i cut it :cry:
I've got another piece to try so fingers crossed.
It is quite astounding the hammering that it took.
:biggthump
Rich

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Roving Rich said:
Its a beautiful blade! I am in the process of re handling it. Though the lovely burr I'd put aside disintegrated as i cut it :cry:
Rich

Very impressive for sure. I think it passed the blade strength test with more than flying colours. But what do you think about the stick tang? I mean the handle did fail didn't it? I know this was waaaaaayyyyyy more than normal abuse, but I wonder if a well made full tang knife, would have still had an intact handle after the experiment?

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
I think you maybe right.
The handle on the Pukko has a blanking plate over the end (is this called a butt plate?), the end of tang has a washer on it then the tang itself is burred over. The tang end came right through this plate and the handle itself was pushed up the tapered rat-tail tang. Causing the handle to split as it moved up the taper.
Unfortunately we didn't mark the 4cm depth on the blade. As it was beyond this point, as Stuart tried to drive it in further that the handle gave.
The Wolverine has a different design, so hammering the end of the tang, rather than the plate.
I will be using heavier duty brass, when i rebuild it so it should stand upto more abuse. Not that i intend to repeat this stupid and unnecessary test.
Battoning the Pukko took all we could throw at it. Including a large lump of ash.
Cheers
Rich

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Martyn said:
Roving Rich said:
Rich

Very impressive for sure. I think it passed the blade strength test with more than flying colours. But what do you think about the stick tang? I mean the handle did fail didn't it? I know this was waaaaaayyyyyy more than normal abuse, but I wonder if a well made full tang knife, would have still had an intact handle after the experiment?

a £28 full tang :-D

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i've got a full tang knife that cost less than 28 quid. it'd pass no problem. thing is, it doesn't cut anywhere near as well as the little puuko.

i've also got a chris reeves sable that passed the test a while ago, and it cuts really well. the same amount of money as that cost would get you half a dozen lapp puukkos :shock:

so the lapp puukko is a great deal whichever way you look at it.

cheers, and.

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I agree with you ... it's easy to take this strength thing too far. I have a few Busse's that would chop a Puukko into inch bits but how many Puukkos would I get for the price? OK, it'd probably chop all of them into the inch long bits without ill effect but it's a stupid test as I could get a £1.50 hacksaw from B&Q and do the same - doesn't mean the hacksaw is better for bushcraft than a Puukko (might be better than the Busse actually :-D )

sargey said:
i've got a full tang knife that cost less than 28 quid. it'd pass no problem. thing is, it doesn't cut anywhere near as well as the little puuko.

i've also got a chris reeves sable that passed the test a while ago, and it cuts really well. the same amount of money as that cost would get you half a dozen lapp puukkos :shock:

so the lapp puukko is a great deal whichever way you look at it.

cheers, and.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
"I could get a £1.50 hacksaw from B&Q and do the same - doesn't mean the hacksaw is better for bushcraft than a Puukko (might be better than the Busse actually :-D )"

130-150 mm of hacksaw blade with half the length heavily wrapped in tape makes a pretty good wood carving knife when the edge is sharpened and something to consider for a small "survival kit."

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Mine should be arriving tomorrow (monday). Im glad to see the response this thread has had. Obviously a popular knife!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE