Lapp Puukko

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
After reading the review of this knife and also reading some of the things people have said about the lapp puukko I am interested in buying one.

To see if I could save any money I popped along to Kellams site to see if they sold direct. Kellam have given me prices for the knife and delivery but they say I may be liable for import tax!

Has anyone done this, and more imortantly did they have to pay any import tax?

I'll only be saving about £13 so if it's load's of hassle I'll forget it an maybe buy one in this country.

Thanks.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If you buy anything from the US, and its value is over £18 (last time I looked) you can be liable for duty. The limit is greater for gifts, £30something.

It is not just the import duty that can hit you. I ordered some damascus blades from a US knife making supply company, I got hit for import duty, then Parcel Farce charged me an additional £13.50 handling fee for paying customs, then delivering to my door.

Sometimes you get things through, some times you don't. I no longer bother trying to buy direct if they price is going to come out more than £18. With the currently strong Pound Vs Dollar, you can get a fair bit for that £18.

Where were you looking at the Lapp Puukko in this country?

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
C_Claycomb said:
If you buy anything from the US, and its value is over £18 (last time I looked) you can be liable for duty. The limit is greater for gifts, £30something.

Where were you looking at the Lapp Puukko in this country?

I reckon if there is a risk of being clobbered with the tax I'll maybe order one from the UK. So far I've only found a couple of places selling them.

The first is the company mentioned in the Bushcraft UK review at http://www.tregor.co.uk, this is run by a Bushcraft UK member I think. The second is Whipperleys at http://www.whipperleys.co.uk they are more expensive but I have used them in the past for other stuff.

Womble: I looked at the site you mention and there are some very similar knives, some from the same manufacturer as the one I want, but no Lapp Puukko. :(

match

Settler
Sep 29, 2004
Edinburgh
Well, I finally got round to ordering a lapp puukko from http://www.tregor.co.uk, and it arrived today, not bad considering I ordered it yesterday about lunchtime! :D

A beautiful little knife, looks lovely, but is sat here on my desk at work, and its raining :( Can't wait for some nice weather and time off to go have a play!

Slimey

Tenderfoot
Apr 20, 2005
Hertfordshire
That's where mine will probably come from.

I say probably as it's my birthday in August and I'm hoping to get one as a pressie! :)

Simon

Leeroy

May 8, 2005
Macclesfield
yeah ive got one too, for the price and the reviews it got, its a quality piece of steel aint no doubt about it

if u wanna see how good it is

cut into a yellow pages....

i did see how long it takes u to get thru it!!!

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE