Lanyards and Knots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi guys, I have been toying around with knots and lanyard making.

Here is a pic.

Anyone else here into ropecraft?

Let see some of the things you guys have tied.

If you have questions or would like a better picture of any of these let me know.

Geoffrey :)

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
I can doo the key and whistle type lanyards, but have never seen the type of lanyard attached to the compass, how did you do that, maybe a link or tutorial ;)

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Hey up, Geoffrey.

I,ve been into marine type ropecraft, all my working life, and thats quite a long time.
Nowadays, I tend toward wholerope mats ,bellropes , chest beckets and hitching projects.

Prefer to work in trad material, but its getting increasingly difficult to lay hands on this stuff.

Chest beckets , apparantly, make great tie-backs, for curtains!

My nautical corner ,smells like a tarpit.

Still keep in trim with wiresplicing: its a shame to have seen the demise of its practical application, but , gotta carry on with the tradition,eh?.

Will post some eg.s when I get sorted out with this photo posting business.

Nice "bar" work, by the way.

Ceeg

themac

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
Milton Keynes
They look like the kids scoobies (in patern not materials), I never even considered that the waeving of those thin plastic 'ropes' probably has been around for years just with more traditional materials.

I think I need to go and take a crash course from the kids and make something that looks good to attach to some of my bits of kit.

Thanks for posting, you have insipired me to try somthing new :)

C

cossack

I run a Sea Cadet Unit, we actually get our junior cadets (10-12), doing 'scoobies', which starts them on a 'fun' introduction to the ropework side of seamanship. Broken down, some of the scoobies have had parts of the Royal Navy level 1 work in them.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
thanks for the replies, the green cord is parachute cord, and the brownish stuff is tarred twine, used for repairing fishing seins.

Directions for the whipping are at the bottom of this page.

http://home.tiscali.nl/knotsandknottying/takelingen.htm

Basically it is a bunch of half hitches adjusted so the circle around the material being whipped.

Seagull thanks for the complement.

themac I am glad your are inspired to try your hand at ropework.

Thanks all.

:D

8thsinner

Nomad
Dec 12, 2005
London
I like the french hitch variation on the compass, very cool.

I am curious why you are using a button for the braclet, is it to have a spare button, There are hundreds of button patterns in ashleys book of knots........You do have ashleys book right.

If your into knot craft and you haven't got it, it is no longer in print so get it if you see it.

And heres something you might want to look up for different variations on other knots, and a very beneficial one.

Slatts knot belt
Try and make one, it's time consuming but cool.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
I used the button to make it easy to put the bracelt on and off, I am waiting on a few curved buckles then I will use them on the bracelet.

ashleys book of knots, I will have to try and find a copy.

Thanks for the reply.

Geoffrey.

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Rope stretcher.
Used to have to go against the clock making these, 10 minutes rings a vague bell as being alright, that just took 35 :eek: .

Rope_Stretcher.jpg

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oh neat. Now that's a good thing :)
How many metres does that take?......and if I bring an old climbing rope to the next meet up you'll be at, will you show me how to make one?

Cheers,
Toddy

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Sure :) , I'll bring a rope too. 40m is fine.

Thinking about it, 10mins may have been for two folk. One doing the figure 8 loops and the other running the clove hitches down the other side and generaly tidying up.
Maybe not though, I did get into a few flusters and kept getting spacings wrong. :rolleyes: The trick is to already know the loops lengths so there's no adjusting to do. Adjusting takes ages.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
The ashley book of knots you can get from amazon here it's the knoters bible great book full of little gems in the text I find someting fun and touching in it every time i open it

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
Good thread Geoffrey,
I like the compass lanyard a lot and I have been doing some bits and bobs of my own.
This one through the hole in my axe handle was a struggle.
WETTERLING_LHA_BRAID.jpg

Ketchup, your one is quite bizarre. :D

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
I braided a length about 6" then forced it through the hole while it was wet using the loose ends to pull on.
I then looped it round and weaved the loose ends into the bottom of the braid as though it was carrying on.
A bit of careful melting with a hot butter knife followed.
I then pulled the braid back through so that the join was in the middle of the hole.
Soaked the whole thing in boiled linseed oil.
Air dried
Tah Dah.

It was a struggle though, much brute force was used. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE