Landrover or Landcrusier

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Y

yowee

I know that this will set the cat amongst the pigeons, but someone had to ask!
I love the look of the landrover and its unassuming nature (it does exactly what it says on the tin!) and I've lived in africa for many years and in places there's sod all else, but which is a better bet, landrovers are utterly class less, but does the landcrusier better build etc make it a better proposition, the landcrusier and the hilux surf thing seem to be very tough (as the top gear thing showed) but with prices similar what would you go for? No swearing or threats of violence it's just a question. :-?

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Just read my sig! :-D :-D

Seriously, the toyotas are fine (can't believe I just said that!) but parts are pricey and despite what gets said there are ropey examples out there just like all other makes.

I love the Land Rovers, if you shop around there are some real bargains on early Discovery's at the moment, Defenders are mostly silly money. Whatever 4x4 you go for get someone who knows their way around them to look it over for you, being what they are they need proper maintenance to avoid problems.
Happy hunting,

Dave

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
I'd add my name to the Land Rover camp too ... but to add to what MartiniDave said, I'd suggest that whatever you get, get a Haynes manual for it and get good at doing your own maintenance and repairs - not only is it fun and cheaper, it helps you bond with your vehicle.

MartiniDave

Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
"it helps you bond with your vehicle"

Too true, I tried bleeding the back brakes of my Series 3 after a short run and managed to get my right elbow stuck to the exhaust back box, hurt like b*ggery and left a nice little scar!

I never leave home without a rudientary tool kit. The older haynes manuals are better than the newer ones, going into greater depth. Stuff covered in last nut & bolt detail in the serie 3 manual is "dealer repair" in the defender manual, for the same bits!

Dave

gurushaun

Forager
Sep 12, 2003
Modbury, Devon/Cannock Staffs
I've always found the Brooklands manuals to be the best IMHO, they are extracted from the genuine Landrover manuals and use excellent line drawings instead of dubious quality black and white photos that you find in the Haynes manuals.

Cheers

Shaun

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Go for the real thing, it will last longer if you give it regular services, cost you less in the long run, and does the job. At least thats what I told SWMBO when I bought mine.
It worked but now I hardly get to drive it cause she's nicked it at every opportunity !!
:yikes: where's the Landy gone ?

martin

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
nth lincs
DSCI0001.JPG

Enough said :-D

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
In north africa and many parts of the middle east Landcruisers are the vehical of choice (landrovers are not thought much of in the desert)

they are also very popular in australia

the toyota HJ61 and the hjz75 are the most popular anounst serious desert drivers

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
My Haynes manual is likely to go in the bin. Changing of the drive belt - the manual says to undo just about every bolt retaining the fan cowling, then lift the top half off. After faffing with the bolts, I realised that the fan cowling is a single piece moulding, and the way to get the belt off & on is to slip it over the fan... 2 minute job that took 15.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
I know this is a bit of a different question to Landrover vs Landcruiser, but ... what do people think of the capabilities of the luxury 4x4 market?

I'm getting a BMW X5 in a few months and tho I know I'll never ever be using it for serious off-road use (have you seen how much the paintjob costs!!! :shock: ), I'd like to know that my excuse for getting one is that it'll be able to cope with mud-covered winding Devon roads and the odd lightlu flooded road is valid :lol:

I'd also better say that I think Landrovers are brilliant and I had a great time driving them round in various muddy fields in a few previous jobs where they certainly earned all the respect they get.

Cheers
Nick

A

Anonymous

Nick,

No offence meant but if your getting a X5 find a friend with a Landy/toyota/Zook/Mitsi etc and a tow rope as you mght be struggling on anything worse than damp grass.

A decent set of tyres might help a bit though as the generally have out and out road tyres fitted as standard.

If its getting at all muddy a Range Rover (or posh toyota ) is a much better vehicle if you want to get muddy in comfort.

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
No offence taken :lol: I know that an X5 could never replace a landy or a purpose designed off-roader but my question was more about what (if any!) capabilities they do have. Just why should they not cope in more than long grass?

Are there any plans to have a car sticker with the new BCUK logo on? Maybe you landy owners could give me a tow out of the puddle I'd have got myself stuck in when you saw the sticker... :lol:

NickBristol

Forager
Feb 17, 2004
Bristol, UK
Raz

Random place to ask but yes she is :-D

Have met a very few others about too...but definitely a pretty rare name. If your Mrs is a fitness instructor too then it's an even wierder co-incidence :shock:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE