Landrover 110 Station Wagon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Looking for something reasonable for use by my wife monday to Friday going to and from work ,and for me to play in at weekends , will not do more than 3000 miles a year so I fancy a nice 300 , will also use it for camping hence the 110

Has anybody any advice of dealers to look at in and around teh North West

Should say don't want to spend more than £5k or so

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Save yourself £4000+ and get a Ssangyong Musso diesel! More reliable (Merc engine and transmission), much more comfortable, better fuel consumption, loads of space inside with huge estate boot:)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I boarded out a 90 and slept in that with my pregnant wife up near Durham in March 2009 - had an Eberspächer fitted so toasty warm (worth getting).

A 300tdi Disco will be significantly cheaper, nicer to drive etc. but not so easy to camp in... unless you get a roof tent!

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
Get a proper Landie - its a unique experience. The Landie won't depreciate, you never for some reason experience road rage or hassle on the road, won't attract negative feelings like all other 4x4s and you will drive round with a smile on your face and a feeling of rugged superiority vs all other 4x4s. The 110 is thirsty (low 20 mpg). The 90 comes in at high 20s. 110s are hugely more practical; you can't really transport children around in a 90, if that is a consideration.

Contrary to all the myths, a decent one, looked after, is reliable.

They seem to be suffering at the moment from a lot of theft - even of wheels etc - so get good locking wheel nuts and a bomb-proof physical security device like a disklok.

If you want the experience then go for it. It's a perfect play / occasional vehicle. If not then almost all other choices make more sense.

The budget is ambitious and you may end up with an unreliable nail. A friend of mine recently bought an excellent 02 plate 110 with 80K miles for £12K privately up here in Scotland. The 300s hold their value and tend to be expensive.

I got mine from RKG Landrovers in Dumfries. It was pricey but the dealer is honest and a good guy. That's not so far from you.

Last edited:

havocsdad

Jun 10, 2010
dorset
Have a good look around, for your budget you'll need to be sure on what your looking at. Try browsing the landrover forums ie defender2net is good. Landrover mags are also a good source of info. Good luck in looking they certainly are a brilliant truck

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
By way of an update and after a lot of looking at and driving all sorts of 4x4

I have sold my Merc E class and bought a Hyundai Santa Fe , not a proper 4x4 I know but I am sure it will not get as stuck as the Merc did last year, plenty of room and good reliability

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
Don't take it on any real bumpy stuff, we had them as work wagons and they where constantly having their suspension replaced.

smallholder

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2009
Cornwall
I got a 96 Defender 110 with 80k on the clock full history for just over the 5k mark. I have had it for about 6 months and love it. Before i had this one i had a series IIa for about 8 years.

Landrovers are not just cars they are a way of life.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
What about a Discovery? Cheapest 4x4 on the road, loads about of all ages and in various condition from excellent to rust bucket. They are a very capable off road machine, and a bit more comfy than a defender - which is why they came into being, so I'm told.
I love my Disco, even though I bought a bit of a lemon and have had to throw some money at it. It has never let me down in snow or anything though, and is now starting to come good. I reckon I get nearly 30mpg out of it, when it's in a good mood!

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
iv had lannys for ten years now love em to bits,but you do have to keep on top off the maintanence with htem. got a disco at mo as i have small children but i did have a s2a and then a 110 defender.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE