Land Rover IIA to swap for something interesting.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
I have a 1963 Land Rover 88" short wheelbase with 2.25 diesel engine which I would like to swap for something interesting. Ideally, I'd like a small trail bike like an XL125 or a DR350 but I'll consider anything, tipees, plane tickets, canoes...basically anything worth about £500 which will take up less room on the driveway.... :)

I've owned the Land Rover for six or seven years. She's deep bronze green with full length canvas (also have a spare hardtop for her) and 7.50 tyres. Original non suffix number plate (private plate), period Smiths heater,original individual wiper motors with manual over ride, original spoked steering wheel, original floor operated dipswitch, original drop plate with modern 50mm tow ball for non agricultural trailers, original self cancelling indicator switch. The MOT's expired and she'll definitely need bits and pieces to pass - after all, she's over forty years old... :rolleyes: Lights, wipers, horn etc all work, and she starts stops and steers. Obviously, due to the age, she's tax exempt, seat belt exempt, and smoke emmission test exempt.

As the Land Rover's MOT has expired it cannot be legally driven on the road, the vehicle would need to be trailered away - I can deliver if necessary, but the new owner will have to cover the cost of diesel, trailer hire etc.

I've been offered £300 by a guy who just wants the chassis plate so he can put registration number and log book onto a newer Landy, but I'd rather see her go complete to a good home as she's been in the family a long time. :sadwavey:

If anyone fancies it drop me a PM or place a post and I'll sort out some photos and have a good prod around to see exactly what needs doing to it for the MOT.

If there are no takers, this top bushcraft mobile will end up on evilbay.... :D

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
i wish i could aford to run it as I've been looking for something similar but I'm becoming a student again so i can't :(

James

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
If you all get very excited about owning a Series IIA than I have a 1961 I would like to get rid of. New tyres, new springs and exhaust system. Needs a little TLC to the engine but passed its MOT last year and its just run out.

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
weekend_warrior said:
How far away from passing an MOT is it? Anything major?

Not sure. :dunno: Crossmember and outriggers are all sound. There's a 5p piece sized hole on the OSR spring hanger. The bulkhead's pretty good, though the edge of the passenger side footwell needs a patch on the flat bit at the bottom where it joins the aluminium floor plate - having said that, it passed the last MOT as it is. Bearing in mind the Landy's age and mileage it'll probably need the usual bits and pieces - ball joints, bushes, brake adjustments etc. I've been meaning to take it for an MOT to see what it goes down on but I haven't had chance to mess about with hiring a trailer to take it to the garage.

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Wayne said:
if you have a prebooked MOT you dont need to have an Mot to drive it as long as your going to and from the test centre.

As far as I am aware.

Thanks for the good information. :) You're absolutely right - don't need a tax disc either as long as the test is pre booked. Unfortunately, the vehicle still needs to be insured to drive to the MOT station, and this one isn't. :(

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
One point worthy of note is that any vehicle older than a 71 is classed as a historic vehicle with regards so taxing it...

It has to pass an MOT and you still need to tax it but it costs nowt.

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
even if it is a historic vehicle and exempt from road fund licence must either display a valid tax disc or be sorn'd.
The disc would be free but still require a valid insurance certificate and MOT certificate too.
cheers louis

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
My Landy's still cluttering the driveway...anybody fancy a swap?

Here it is en route to the garage for a new clutch about four years ago.

4h7ryfn.jpg

It's not perfect, but it's a lot better than this one we saw in India. Land Rover anoraks will notice the hand made mild steel front wings which have tighter curves than the aluminium originals, along with square lights. The silver round things where the grille should be aren't electric fans...they're a pair of super loud horns.., :eek:

3yd2mp2.jpg

:offtopic: We met a guy who reckoned that over a thousand Indians are killed every year by falling coconuts. I wonder how true this is... :dunno:

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
with the orginal bits it might fetch more than the usual ones on ebay which is couple of hundred.best bet is to put up with it on the drive a while and put it in lro magazine classifieds where enthusiast will snap it up.you could get a bit for the canvas/hoodsticks and the no plate and get a age related plate put on it,im not far from you and tempted but ive already got a lwb vw t4 and a series 2a 88" v8 clogging drive up now.

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
I'll swap you a J reg Discovery :D (though I think it would take up more room on the driveway :rolleyes: )

Are you sure you want to get rid of it? Might be something you regret later, they dont make 'em like that anymore - hence why I'd swap my disco for a SIIA.

Andy

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
moocher said:
with the orginal bits it might fetch more than the usual ones on ebay which is couple of hundred.best bet is to put up with it on the drive a while and put it in lro magazine classifieds where enthusiast will snap it up.you could get a bit for the canvas/hoodsticks and the no plate and get a age related plate put on it,im not far from you and tempted but ive already got a lwb vw t4 and a series 2a 88" v8 clogging drive up now.

Thanks for the good advice. :) The space currently occupied by the Landy's needed for an extension, so it has to go sooner rather than later. I think I'll end up removing the small easily saleable parts, such as the hoodsticks, wiper motors, heater etc then sell the rest to the chap who only really wants the chassis plate and registration document. :rolleyes: Unless one of you BCUKers come up with a better offer within the next fortnight or so. :D

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Robbo said:
I'll swap you a J reg Discovery :D (though I think it would take up more room on the driveway :rolleyes: )

Are you sure you want to get rid of it? Might be something you regret later, they dont make 'em like that anymore - hence why I'd swap my disco for a SIIA.

Andy

I'd do a straight swap for a Disco, no bother. I flew up to Scotland to collect my current Ninety and it's not as far as you'd think. Though I imagine your Disco would have to be pretty rough if you're willing to swap it for an old 88" without an MOT. :rolleyes: A friend of mine's looking for a cheap Disco for an off road project so I know I could sell it straight away before it has chance to take root in the garden like most of my "projects.". :) In fact, if you really want to sell the Disco PM me your number and I'll pass it on.

I'm absolutely sure I want to get rid of the IIA. I also have a Series IIA Lightweight and a 90 Tdi so I have plenty of rust and oil leaks to keep me occupied without getting the 88" back on the road as well... :eek:

Wenie

Forager
Aug 4, 2005
S. Wales valleys
havingagiraffe said:
:offtopic: We met a guy who reckoned that over a thousand Indians are killed every year by falling coconuts. I wonder how true this is... :dunno:
Dude, bearing in mind that when we met him, he had no idea where in India he was, and was walking up and down the train wearing one flip flop because his other one had mysteriously disappeared, I suspect he'd been hit on the head by a coconut himself, so I don't know if I'd really believe everything he said... :lmao: :p

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE