Land Rover Defender 90 question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
EdS said:
fair enough.

Pity there is now where really for a camp out in the woods around there. it can be done but it is hit and miss with the land owners.

Well, there is lots of green near by, but it's all posh, inhabited kind of green. You are OK walking through, but ya cant camp really. At least not like up your way.

Dunno about the GL yet. I think the nearest good ones are Ashbourne and Shropshire, but I'm still trying to figure out all these downloadable maps and things. There is a local LR club though, I was gonna hook up with them and take it from there.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
EdS said:
Martyn

I was think about the Dales - no much scope for woodland camping there. Some nice spots for Moor land camping if you are discrete.

Do you have Memory Map? As I've got some Dales and Lakes info.

No, just the stuff that came with me Garmin and I think it's propietry software. But I think I could get me hands on a copy though. :)

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Martyn said:
My goodness, Mahindra, that takes me back - they use to have a "red indian" as their logo IIRC, presumable because that was a cooler type of "indian"? Anyway, even the guy who worked in the dealership I knew reaconed they were a bag of c**p.

As a Land Rover owner, I'm interested in anything slower, bouncier and less reliable just so I can gloat :) I think the red Indian logo and the Indian Brave stickers were references to the American Cherokee Jeep. The current Mahindras have better build quality..not in the same league as an L200 or a Defender, but not bad for under ten grand.

Spacemonkey said:
The new 110 is quite nice, but looks like you might get a bit wet in there..
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
Spacemonkey said:
Didn't the Aussie army use Mahindras at one stage?

I think the Australian airforce used locally assembled civilian spec CKD Willys CJ 3Bs as airfield tenders. These look very much like Mahindras but have a petrol engine and slightly different wings. The Australian Army trialled Military spec (M series) Jeeps in the late fifties but rejected them in favour of Series II Land Rovers. I don't think the army used Mahindras, but I could well be wrong :dunno: . I'm sure some of the military kit geeks :AR15firin on here will correct me if I am. Mahindra tried to sell Jeeps painted olive green with khaki soft tops to the Australian civilian market about ten years ago but didn't have much success. I don't think they could compete with 3.0/4.2 turbo diesel Landcruisers and 2.5 turbo diesel/3.9 naturally aspirated diesel Land Rovers which had roughly twice the power of the 2.1 non turbo Peugeot diesel engines fitted to the Mahindra.

Some Indian market Mahindras have a three litre diesel engine, power steering and five speed transmission. One of these would be quite useful, but importing one's a bit of a nightmare :( . The Indian government have recently introduced a rule which prevents foreigners from registering vehicles in India, and the vehicle would have to be inspected and type approved (SVA'd) before being allowed on European roads. Shame really, as they look quite funky.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
havingagiraffe said:
As a Land Rover owner, I'm interested in anything slower, bouncier and less reliable just so I can gloat :) I think the red Indian logo and the Indian Brave stickers were references to the American Cherokee Jeep.

Ahhh, that's it, I remember now. Wasn't it some kind of licenced remake of the original Willy's jeep?

mahindra_ff.jpg

_T39484.jpg

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
yay! Found the forum again.. thought it was lost forever..

Anyway, I bought a 4x4 and I chose to follow.....

PIGNUT!
Yep, got a 2.8LWB Pajero for a real bargain price.

DSC00210.jpg

DSC00209.jpg

DSC00211.jpg

The rear seats fold flat to make a bed of sorts that I can sleep on lengthways (I'm 6'2") if the front seat is far forward and my feet overhang.

DSC00143.jpg

Now keeps the others company..

DSC00139.jpg

Anyone want to buy a Kamper..? ;)

So far have only been on two mild green lane trips as it is still standard and i don't have the recovery equipment yet, nor always a following vehicle, so I only take it where i have ridden my dirtbike first to check it out in advance. Got an off road pay and play day in 2 weeks time... So far, it hasn't even hinted at coming unstuck. The river was about 2 foot deep in the middle and it was fine. The final little play area was a heck of a lot steeper than it looked- the camera doesn't catch it well. The only bit to deck out was the tow hitch.

This wa smy mates very first time driving off road, hence easy and very slow.. (turn down volume if sense of humour deficient.. ;) been dying to use that track for something!! :D )

and part 2

All in, I'm VERY pleased with it. It is solid as a rock and fairly economical. I'm running it on 70% diesel, 30% veg oil from Tescos, which saves about £20 for a full tank, and at that mix ratio has no adverse effect and needs no mods. As of the end of this month, as long as you use no more than 2500 litres of veg oil a year as fuel you do not need to register with Customs and Excise and do not need to pay tax. You DO have to keep receipts though so that you can keep an eye on quantities and prove you are a small user.

Mitsubishi-:You_Rock_

ps, still want an open Landy as well next year...

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Hi Goose..

Check out the thread here with all the relevant HM C&E links:

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=64944

Several people have phoned them direct and been told the same answer.
Normally, most diesels will run 75/25% veg all year without mods, and 50/50% during the summer. Some fuel pumps don't like the thicker oil so do some online research for your relevant vehicle. It appears that by adding 1 litre of white spirit to 20 litres of veg oil, it chemically thins it after about 5 days. This has no adverse effects on the vehicle.

It is also worth noting that veg oil is one of the cleanest fuels for vehicles as far as so called green house gases are concerend, so worth it if that bothers you. It will also lower emissions for MOTs. Performance is not effected and it actually cleans the system, so many folk change the fuel filter after the first tank or two. It also runs quieter. Diesel engines were originally invented to run on peanut oil untilt he oil barons got involved, so this is nothing new.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE