Land Rover Breakdown. Possible solutions?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hi.
I know next to nothing about mechanics. I have a 2010 Freelander 2 in v good condition. 40k on the clock.
Over the last few weeks, the handbrake has been sticking a bit when i take it off, and reverse out of the garage.
Seemed to stick a bit more in the cold.
I've been driving through a lot of water over the last month or two, dont know if thats played a part.
However, this morning, took handbrake off, put in reverse and it just wont budge, just lifts at the back end when i try to reserve. Doesnt move.
Its like the handbrake cables locked on?

No Land Rover dealerships open today.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Be prepared for many jokes about Landies being off road vehicles as that's where they spend most of their time due to breakdowns. :rolleyes:
Also why I never drive forwards into a space/garage; always be able to drive out forwards, also makes jump starts easier.
Have you tried jacking up the back end and trying to rotate the wheels to free them? The brakes can get sticky as they get older and the water and debris of late may have contributed to this.
Try the jack and manually freeing first before starting taking stuff apart if you aren't mechanicaly inclined.
Good luck mate.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Solution to Landie issues - buy a Toyota!
90% of all Landies ever made are still on the road ... the rest made it home...
Yeah - the jokes are going to flood in
but I am afraid I cannot help with any real help - good luck though!

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The handbrake is indeed stuck on. Sometimes rocking the car by raising and dipping the clutch (with the car in reverse and some gas on) will work to free it or, as Colin said, jacking the rear up and rotating the wheels by hand with the box in neutral.

Jul 26, 2010
Scotland
Sounds like the brakes are seized, not sure if the Freelander 2 has drums or discs for the hand brake but I would release the hand brake, chock the wheels so it can't move and have a look underneath for the handbrake cables, when you find them, give them a pull, if there's a bit of play then it's probably the pads or shoes themselves that are seized, if the cables are really tight then the problem is more likely the cables. If it's the brakes themselves then your only option is to either jack up one wheel at a time and try to turn the wheel with a long wrench or lever, be warned when it frees it will be sudden and possibly violent, or put it in reverse and rock it back and forward with the clutch, again it will let go suddenly.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Wel thats a start, thanks guys. I'll do a bit of searching myself.....then ring a dealership. If they're open tommorow.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Rock it back and forth on the clutch see if that frees it.
If not jack it up and give each tyre a good bashing on the sidewall, and jerk it back and forth with a wheelbrace.......it might just pop it off
even if that works they'll want a strip down, clean up and probably some new pads

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
If they are disk brakes it could be corrosion on your flexi break pipes, they can block up and not allow the fluid back out of the caliper.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
I believe freelander2 is the same as disco3 in that the handbrake is a drum inside the rear hub and i'd bet it just gummed up with crap, and perhaps the previous sticking has caused a shoe to de-laminate and gum it up worse.......maybe lol

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I believe freelander2 is the same as disco3 in that the handbrake is a drum inside the rear hub and i'd bet it just gummed up with crap, and perhaps the previous sticking has caused a shoe to de-laminate and gum it up worse.......maybe lol

Haha. I'll formulate intelligent sounding questions using all these comments, and they'll think i know what the hell im on about....!

Cheers Chaps.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
If you're going to the dealership Dave, surely the best words you can use are 'money' and 'back'.... then go and get something more substantial like a Mitsubishi? :p

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Cant do it.
I love my Landy...

It might not be a fancy RR evoque, or one of the new shaped discoverys, but its the only car Ive owned which Ive grown quite attached to. I dont know why. Its a bit of a mystery.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
When you say attached... do you mean you get your trousers caught on the seat springs every time you try to exit the vehicle? :eek:

barclay03

Jul 14, 2014
Glasgow
Definitely stuck on in some way. I haven't had any dealings with the freelander 2's but if what's said above is true then a whack to the drum could free it. Unless it's a similar problem to what fords tend to suffer from, and it's the handbrake cables themselves that rust inside the sheath and lock up

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
My Shogun had the same a while ago after a fair bit of messing around deep puddles, it was the brake compensator (I think that's what it's called) helps the handbrake when heavy loads are being carried, it's under the rear, follow the handbrake cable back and spray a load of wd40 over it and any moving parts.
Hope this helps,
Ignore the jokes mate, all 4x4's can be a pain.

All the best
Dave.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Ignore the jokes mate, all 4x4's can be a pain.

All the best
Dave.

Mitsubishi Delicas aren't a pain... if you ignore the occasional eroding of the radiator causing it to loose water at anything above 2000 revs. And the occasional locking of the front calipers. And the problem with the dual battery link. And the woefully small fuel tank. And the gyrometer breaking every five minutes.

Other than that (and a few other minor issues) the Delicas are very good. :eek:

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Haha, like my Shogun then, apart from rear chassis looking like Swiss cheese, occasional over heating , 2.8 engine feels more like a 1.1, she carries all my tools and does all what I ask. :)

They are definitely a labour of love.

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Just looked it up... Shogun and the Delica share the same chassis, same engine... pretty much the same everything except the Delica looks like a minibus, the Shogun like a traditional 4x4.

No wonder we're having similar issues! lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE