Laburnum Puukko (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Good evening.

Following the Rosewood Puukko I made I wanted a crack at getting a better fitting ferule. This time I used a Lauri PT95 blade & some Laburnum that was given to me. A little heavier & denser than the Rosewood with a bit more figure.

A load of pictures of the making here...

Puukko_Laburnam_LauriPT95_01.JPG

Filed some notches into the tang, took off black coating & cut of the last third.

Puukko_Laburnam_LauriPT95_02.JPG

3 x 3mm pilot holes to full depth.

Puukko_Laburnam_LauriPT95_03.JPG

Slot opened up with drill & pad saw.

Puukko_Laburnam_LauriPT95_04.JPG

Reasonable friction fit with a few mm to tap home.

Puukko_Laburnam_LauriPT95_05.JPG

Puukko_Laburnam_LauriPT95_06.JPG

Carving the step for the ferrule to fit over.

Puukko_Laburnam_LauriPT95_07.JPG

Checking the fit

Puukko_Laburnam_LauriPT95_08.JPG

Further shaping with Draw & push knife.

Puukko_Laburnam_LauriPT95_09.JPG

Keying the inside of the ferrule.

Puukko_Laburnam_LauriPT95_10.JPG

Final fit check.

Puukko_Laburnam_LauriPT95_11.JPG

Tapped home & glued.

Puukko_Laburnam_LauriPT95_12.JPG

Handle carved to shape (shown with the rosewood one on the right & the one I bought in Finland that inspired these efforts.).

Puukko_Laburnam_LauriPT95_13.JPG

Sanded to 1500 grit.

Similar simple shape to the last one & the ferrule worked out a bit better thankfully.

Puukko_Laburnam_LauriPT95_14.JPG

Puukko_Laburnam_LauriPT95_15.JPG

Now sat in a pot of linseed oil. I'll take a few shots of the finished item in daylight.

Thanks for looking...

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Wonderful, a really sweet knife thanks for showing. Is the Finish one scorched birch? and do you buy the ferrules with the blade? Makes a nice tidy job and saves having to make up a bolster.

Hedgehog

Nomad
Jun 10, 2005
East Sussex
Wonderful, a really sweet knife thanks for showing. Is the Finish one scorched birch? and do you buy the ferrules with the blade? Makes a nice tidy job and saves having to make up a bolster.

Thank you Robin.

The Finish one is indeed scorched Birch. I'm not sure how it is done, I've read them referred to as 'baked' but that may be slightly misleading translation. It was much more even in colour when I got it & had a black blade - it has seen alot of use since then. I should have asked the maker about it when I bought it.

I got the ferrules from Brisa.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Hedgehog
Thats very nice indeed well made and lovely handle shape.

I always buy bolsters for budget blades like this as it is quicker and easier I never used aferule like that yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE