Kyoto Agreement

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi all you fountains of wisdom.

I heard somewhere about the Kyoto agreement and the US. Or rather the lack of the US. Why is the USA not taking part in such an important issue, is it some republican/Bush ignorance issue? Or if Kerry got in would he sign the agreement to help save this world?

I read a bit of Micheal Moore (and although i am undecided about him) he does raise some issues with the US administration and its gas-guzzling, rescource-eating plan.

BTW this is a question about the US government and not the US, to have a problem with the US citizens would be somewhat ridiculous. There's just too many of 'em :shock: :wink:

Thanks all.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Oh, another vote winning tactic. Whats Kerry's view on the agreement?

I think we should do an off topic vote with no comments on a poll Bush or Kerry. Might be interesting i think! (but i'm a bit scared)

:wink:

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
Belfast, Northern Ireland
Our views are kind of academic, with the possible exception of the Statside members.

AFAIK Kerry is no more committed to the protocols than Bush, I stand to be corrected.

I have a degree (degree I said) of sympathy for the American position.

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
I can not believe that we can persuade the Russians to sign up to this and not the USA. If it costs money and jobs to sign than America is in far more stable position to do so than Russia.

If the USA (and china and India) do not sign up to this treaty then the rest of the countries may as well whistle. Half the world is signed up to a treaty to cut pollution and the other half is doing their best to increase pollution. China is the fastest growing polluting nation and the rest of us are trying to cut down, the net result will be no change (if we're lucky). Bush should sign up to say sorry for all his other crazy policies (sorry ranting now).

The debate between Bush and Kerry tonight should be something to watch. It will hopefully give us an insight into which way the election might go.

Phew off me soap box now. Hope I didn't offend anyone. I would love to hear what some of our American members think, please.

Bill

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
The Russians have less to lose.
And a fair bit to gain from joining in international agreements of any nature.

Not so for the 'Mericans or the Chinese, or the Indians.

It's a bit like the sustainable development argument in the developing countries, you've got to provide a workable, economic alternative that will maintain or indeed increase people's standard of living or they'll likely tell you to bog off.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
The Australians wont sign either :nono: ,Thats because they have the worlds largest coal reserves, enough for 400 years.
Dont hold your breath that they'll change their minds in the next 399 tho'.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Maybe they will be after all the hurricans trashing the south coast - after all it must be costing the millions now and surely even their politians (who are all int he pockets of big business) can see one way or another their gas guzzling, pollution puking, energy greedy way of life has to change.

Either that or in a few years real estate in Florida will be cheap enough for even a peasant like me to afford!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cool, im glad you guys share my opinions. When is the Bush/Kerry debate on, that should be fun. It would be nice for baby bush to have to support from all his administration agents, same with Kerry, i think i know who would come out on top!

Great Pebble

Settler
Jan 10, 2004
their gas guzzling, pollution puking, energy greedy way of life has to change.

Not just theirs, no point in complaining about 'Mericans or Chinese business practice when we still want new Fords and branded trainers.

By "we" by the way, I mean our society as opposed to any individuals here.

Industry doesn't guzzle, puke and be greedy for the fun of it.

The people in Florida have had a very hard time, but there's millions on the way to them to rebuild, which is more than can be said for Hiatians.

As much as we want to "do the right thing", until some visionary comes up with a new method of running our world, which allows the rich to keep getting rich and, just as importantly, prevents the poor getting any poorer while being kind to the planet, we're on a hiding to nowhere.

I've yet to see a text that doesn't involve somebody "taking it on the chin".

Not going to happen I'm afraid.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE