Kuksa

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Oh, that's a shame, it looks really good. I'm glad you're being positive though, and as you say it is a learning curve.

Good luck with your next one!

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Don't bin it Toots. Let it dry out fully, then mix up some sawdust and epoxy resin (araldite is fine) and fill the crack. When it's dry sand it down. It'll do you until the next one's finished.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
God, what a disappointment. Don't think I could be that philosophical about it. However, it is a warning to the rest of us. Look forward to seeing the next one.

Toots

Aug 22, 2005
Sutton in Craven, North Yorkshire
Seems it is not all bad. I figured there was no harm in bunging the "salty firewood" in the airing cupboard to dry out quickly and see how much more it would split. Fortunately the crack didn't grow much more so I just trimmed about a centimeter or so off the top edge of the cup spent a while with the crook knife to enlarge the inside a bit and a while later voila!!
Still tastes salty after a week or so of coffee but it is getting better. I think I like it more for being a bit smaller anyhow! :D

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Thats a really nice looking piece of work, and a damned fine recovery job too :beerchug: I'm on the look out for a good piece of birch burr to have a go at one of these myself. If it turns out as good as yours I'll be a happy camper.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE