kuksa making instructions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
bent-stick said:
I'm surp[rised no one has mentioned burnishing or boning. It works the oil in and closes off a lot of the pores. A leatherwork boner works well.

Could you elaborate on that? I did a quick google and couldn't find any reference to burnishing or boning in connection with wood working. I know about burnishing pottery I didn't know you could do it with wood, it sounds interesting.

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Sorry WD, Just saw your question.

Really simple technique, just rub the wood with lots of pressure with something hard and rounded. For large flat bits the bowl of a stainless steel spoon is good.

I use my leathermakers bone folder or a pork rib I rescued from the bin. It seals the pores and forces the grain together. I use it for the backs of my bows to force the oil in to the grain.

Try it out on any old bit of carved wood, you'll find you can get a good finish without oil or anything. It's even better if you burnish the oil into the wood.

Getting a good picture isn't easy but you can just see the burnished but of this spoon handle. (burnished is on the right)

burnishingxi8.jpg

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Hoodoo said:
It's not a kuksa but I just finished carving this tankard. Pretty much the same process. Right now it has a couple coats of mineral oil on it. The wood is butternut. You can see how it darkened up from the before and after shots.

mug1b.jpg

Hoodoo - What kind of tool is this you're using? I've been doing something similar for a few months now on and off, but using a spoon knife is frustratingly difficult. :rolleyes:

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Simon E said:
Pillar drill with sander?

Funniest looking pillar drill i've ever seen ;)

Seriously though I've considered doing that but felt i'd rather carve it all by hand.

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
bent-stick said:
Sorry WD, Just saw your question.

Really simple technique, just rub the wood with lots of pressure with something hard and rounded. For large flat bits the bowl of a stainless steel spoon is good.

I use my leathermakers bone folder or a pork rib I rescued from the bin. It seals the pores and forces the grain together. I use it for the backs of my bows to force the oil in to the grain.
QUOTE]

Thanks that looks really interesting, just having a surreptitious rub of my latest spoon with a teaspoon. I've actually got my first kuska half finished so ill have a go burnishing that. It sounds very much like burnishing pottery, strange how i've never herd of it before. Could it be use as a alternative to sandpaper in a bushcraft situation i wonder.

N

Nordica Heat

I personally dont think a kuksa can be made out of the nordic countries.

Even in finland. the traditional kuksa makers are located in or near the artic circle where they can find gnarled birch!

WhichDoctor

Nomad
Aug 12, 2006
Shropshire
Nordica Heat said:

Even in finland. the traditional kuksa makers are located in or near the artic circle where they can find gnarled birch!
I think in this case the term "kuksa" is used to describe a certain type of bowl/cup made out of wood, similar things have been made everywhere. In england I believe they were called noggins, in Canada they were and still are called canoe cups, there probably were similar things made all over Europe. For some reason "kuksa" has become the generic name for all of these.

P.S. does anyone have any information about english noggins, pictures etc? I've herd them mentioned on this site but haven't been able to fined anything about them on google. I'd be very grateful :) .

N

Nordica Heat

I think in this case the term "kuksa" is used to describe a certain type of bowl/cup made out of wood, similar things have been made everywhere. In england I believe they were called noggins, in Canada they were and still are called canoe cups, there probably were similar things made all over Europe. For some reason "kuksa" has become the generic name for all of these.

thanks for letting me know. I finnish people 's minds. a kuksa must be a drinking cup made out of gnarled birch in LAPLAND.

In linguistics. this phenominon is called..broadening--the meaning of the word broadened.

Hyvää jatkoa!Keep well going!

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
WhichDoctor said:

P.S. does anyone have any information about english noggins, pictures etc? I've herd them mentioned on this site but haven't been able to fined anything about them on google. I'd be very grateful :) .

Noggin, is a desending word of the Ojibway word "Naagan" which is Ojibway for cup.

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
Nordica Heat said:

All you need is a birch or maple burl. As OzaawaaMigiziNini says, here they are called naagans or canoe cups. English colonials referred to any utensil made of wood as "treenware.":

IMG_6905.jpg

IMG_6918.jpg

IMG_6915.jpg

Treenware:

http://www.spooners.com/

http://www.woodsurgeon.com/treenware.htm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE