Knowledge needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Hi just thought I d ask for some advice cause tgeirs always someone in the know on thus forum.
So I bought thus dinghy last year
y7uhu5u4.jpg

I've used it a couple of times with lads island hoping in the lake dustrict it's actually quite a robust peice of kit n been perfect for little half mike paddles with kit.my problem is that it's impossible too paddle row boat style with the paddles through the oar holes on the sides.the dinghy just spins round and round in circles.so far we've been paddling as you would with a Canadian canoe one at the front and one at the back.what I'm thinking is if a attach a fin too the bottom(not sure of correct terminology)this will help keep it in a straight line.?if this is correct where would I position this Fin in the middle or at the back?
Cheers Andy

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Cheers for a response Andy yeah I've tried this and it works well.too add though an owd british seagul outboard has recently come into my possession and I was thinking a fin might help with that too

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
See here this guys modded a sail too his.this is an image off google so theirs no info but surely he's added a fin somewhere
ypybynyh.jpg

uguha4eh.jpg

Last edited:

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
Don't know if you would need a fin with an outboard although you might want to make sure that the bow was riding higher than the rest. The guy that's adapted his for sailing hasn't fitted a fin but if you look at the sides, he's got a Lee board on either side. Looks like he's made them out of an old paddle

Andy

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Don't know if you would need a fin with an outboard although you might want to make sure that the bow was riding higher than the rest. The guy that's adapted his for sailing hasn't fitted a fin but if you look at the sides, he's got a Lee board on either side. Looks like he's made them out of an old paddle
Are these lee boards their too too help the dinghy cut through the water?

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
You are looking for what is called a "Skeg". It's a fin that usually sits towards the back of the boat where the drag is reduced.

If the boat has no skeg socket, I might try to mackle a rudder that can lock in place. A fixed skeg can ground readily, much easier to launch in shallow water without one but they are worth the extra hassle.

My inflatable is a bit 'spinny' without the skeg.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
You are looking for what is called a "Skeg". It's a fin that usually sits towards the back of the boat where the drag is reduced.

If the boat has no skeg socket, I might try to mackle a rudder that can lock in place. A fixed skeg can ground readily, much easier to launch in shallow water without one but they are worth the extra hassle.

My inflatable is a bit 'spinny' without the skeg.
What's the dimensions of the Skeg on your craft pal

N

Nomad

Cheers pal would a fixed rudder or Skeg do the same job

The lee boards (or centreboard, or daggerboard on sailing dinghies) need to be roughly where the centre off effort is on the sail. If you had a fixed rudder, implying something at the aft end, the centre of effort would be forward of the rudder, and cause the boat to rotate to leeward (the bow would constantly try to turn downwind).

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
The lee boards (or centreboard, or daggerboard on sailing dinghies) need to be roughly where the centre off effort is on the sail. If you had a fixed rudder, implying something at the aft end, the centre of effort would be forward of the rudder, and cause the boat to rotate to leeward (the bow would constantly try to turn downwind).

What he said

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'm guessing OP just wants to paddle in straighter line without doing paddle ballet.

I found this kit on the bay; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tracking-...anoe-Sevylor-Tahiti-Bluefin-kit-/191152736448

Looks identical to the very basic clip on job on mine. V pricey for what it is but It has got £4 odd of glue. :rolleyes: It will do the job and will save the expense of buying some Mcnett Seamgrip to do the job diy style with some polymorph sockets and a cut piece of plastic kitchen chopping board.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I'm guessing OP just wants to paddle in straighter line without doing paddle ballet.

I found this kit on the bay; http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tracking-...anoe-Sevylor-Tahiti-Bluefin-kit-/191152736448

Looks identical to the very basic clip on job on mine. V pricey for what it is but It has got £4 odd of glue. :rolleyes: It will do the job and will save the expense of buying some Mcnett Seamgrip to do the job diy style with some polymorph sockets and a cut piece of plastic kitchen chopping board.

That's the ticket right their teepee Cheersalot! N thanks everyone else for your in put

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE