Knot Names.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
I've recently learnt that a Bowline knot is pronounced Bow-lin, not Bow-line. Does this mean that a Buntline is pronounced Buntlin and a Tautline is pronouced Tautlin ?

Is there anything else I should know that can save me sounding like a Knot moron? :tapedshut :cool:

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Boe-lin, not Bow-lin. Grummit instead of Grommet, Shivs not sheaves, tay-kel not tackle are some of what I grew up with, but the list is both long and varied, as per country, region and all the trades and establishments therein.

Ceeg

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Ashley's Book of Knots is what you need if you want to sound Nerdy. You can call a Bowline "Ashley 1010" then and sound like you might know the 3853 knots in there too.

Alternatively you can just learn half a dozen basic knots and many ways to adapt them to all your needs.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If you really want to appear a knot moron, know what they are all called, but fail to remember how to tie them ;) Otherwise, do like some of us and know ten or so useful knots and say the names fast enough that no one really knows whether you said it "right" or not :D

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Yup, learn a few knots well and how to adapt them to whatever you need to do.

Ignore whether they are really a "bend" or a "hitch" instead of a "knot" - and instead, learn how to tie them left handed (or right handed if you are left hand dominant).

Like many things in Bushcraft, there can be many local names for the same knot and often numerous ways to tie it - though I must tip my hat to Ashley's for any definitive description.

ATB

Ogri the trog

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE