knives what are your favourite ones?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I have had several knives over the years and have sold many on to friends and family over the years but however after counting today i have 27 in the collection.

The knife that has impressed me the most is my sok knife the seal pup elite. Its razor sharp and after using it heavily for a day was still sharp at the end of the day.

What is your favourite knife? and why?

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
At the moment it is my hand forged Dave Budd BcUK badged knife. Given to me by Mesquite, I had to re-handle it when I chipped a chunk off the original handle and it lives in my daybag, then there is the Damascus bladed knife that I made from a blade given me by Greg, the stick tang Mora I re-handled and a Bushy I made from a cut down Cold Steel SRK in Carbon V...

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Dave Budd Green Man Pro.
In second place a Rod Garcia Skookum Bushtool.
3rd Bearclaw Field knife. ( or Woodlore.)

Best.
Chris

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I have a Puukko, a SAK Hunter, a spoon knife and a Whitby folding knife that I actually use.

Then a Condor Bushlore that doesn't see the light of day generally. Oh and I recently got a Buck Canoe knife in a trade, but jury's still out on whether I like it.

That's all the knives I own, but my favourite is the Puukko (think its called a Tregor PTX). Takes and holds a wicked edge, its light and it feels good in the hand.

Last edited:

salad

Sep 24, 2008
In the Mountains
My gene ingram, 4inch flat ground blade. It is the best all round knife I have ever had, so much so that is now my only fixed blade knife as I have sold on all the others.

It was also my 40th birthday present from the wife :)

Photo taken when new

Last edited:

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
My favourite fixed blade would be my Spyderco bushcrafter, in a sheath made by Luckylee of this parish.
My favourite folder is my large Sebenza with Micarta inserts.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
At the moment it is my hand forged Dave Budd BcUK badged knife. Given to me by Mesquite, I had to re-handle it when I chipped a chunk off the original handle and it lives in my daybag, then there is the Damascus bladed knife that I made from a blade given me by Greg, the stick tang Mora I re-handled and a Bushy I made from a cut down Cold Steel SRK in Carbon V...

dude.. lemme see!!! :D

One of my favourites is my GEC bullnose pocket knife, it's lovely and goes everywhere with me!

It lives in my Angst-made pocket sheath, perfect perfect perfect! :)

and one that is very special to me is my British army clasp knife - circa 1953! gifted to me by one of our own (magentus). I think I will do the same thing and gift this one to a dear friend of mine who lives in America.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
300092135_80b1f1d6d4.jpg

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Chris Caine Companion, Great all rounder once you get used to using it
Mora Heavy Duty
victorinox Huntsman/Outrider Or Issue clasp penknife

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Too many knives, too little time. However I suppose if I base it only on sentiment, it'd be Daddy's machete. Nothing special about it; it's just an ordinary Collins Legitimus machete although a bit longer than normal at 28". But it's well over 60 years old and Daddy carried and used it in Panama and later back i Mississippi and I've done the same in Mississippi and Florida.

He brought it and another just like it home and gave the second one to Moma's brother (I have them both now) I need to mount them on the wall one day.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Too many knives, too little time. However I suppose if I base it only on sentiment, it'd be Daddy's machete. Nothing special about it; it's just an ordinary Collins Legitimus machete although a bit longer than normal at 28". But it's well over 60 years old and Daddy carried and used it in Panama and later back i Mississippi and I've done the same in Mississippi and Florida.

He brought it and another just like it home and gave the second one to Moma's brother (I have them both now) I need to mount them on the wall one day.

Santaman, I hope you never hang up your knives. It'll be a sad day.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Bog standard No.8 Opinel always in trouser pocket, Buck 110 always in the day pack, which is always with me except when I have to go to town, and after many fixed blades, I bought this from Bob Juttle this year and have not carried or used another since I got it; it fits both my hand and my head perfectly and fulfils all the roles not taken care of by the other two.IMAG0229.jpgIMAG0231.jpg

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
My favourites are definitely RJ Evans's version of the bushtool - not fussed whether it is the butt-plate version or the non-butt-plate version - together with his double laced sheath.

Example here (not of the sheath)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98629&highlight=bushtool

I have one with an amboyna burl handle with butt plate (as pictured in the link) and one with a birch handle without butt-plate and love them both. They just seem to fit the hand better, cut better and stay sharp better than any others I have.

As for folders, my Shing slippy with curly birch scales is the one.

I would also have to put in a vote for Grohmann knives, as well, either the original No.1 Knife or the Boat Knife. Different, with superb ergonomics.

Last edited:

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I usually use my own but here's my favorite Knives made by other's;
1. Bison Bushcraft
2. Alan wood Woodlore ( the chunky version )
3. Cold steel master hunter
4. Fallkniven A2
5. Coldsteel Trailmaster sanmai.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE