Knives from a cutting disc?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Velo_Exp

Jul 13, 2008
South East
I thought I saw a tutorial for making a knife from a round cutting disc, anyone know what I'm talking about?

Or making a little knife from a hacksaw blade or cutting disc, i.e to begin with just cutting the shape of the blade, adding the handle and sharpening.

So either use a hacksaw blade, an old file or cutting disc.

Advice for either of them.

Many thanks.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
I presume you are talking about the diamond tipped stone cutting dics for angle grinders or woodcutting skill saw blade? Either way I am not sure what the carbon content or temper would be on those. Files are definitely too hard and not easy projects to make blades from. So I would be tempted to try with your hacksaw blades first or old bandsaw blade perhaps. Some modern blades are only hardened at the cutting tips, other folk may have advice on what works but if you have it and its free then its worth trying. The worst that can happen is it doesn't hold its edge for very long and you have to resharpen regularly.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
one of the best knives I made was at school. they had an industrial hacksaw which took blades roughly 60cmx30mmx2mm when they snapped they left 150mm or so at the ends which ground up great :)

you could chop up an old circular saw blade I suppose or any large steel cutting blade but it would be a lot of work to cut out.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I made an ulu out of an old hand saw, used a dremel to chop it into shape,.

Yup, handsaws work great. I made this one from a piece out of an old handsaw.

snubnose1b.jpg

snubnose2b.jpg

snubnose3b.jpg

snubnose4b.jpg

I wouldn't bother with round saw blades as robin said it usually only the teeth that are hardened, What ever recycled steel you use you have to be careful you don't heat it to much while cutting , it can be done though , use a cutting disk on a dremel , well lots of them usually , get some very wet cloth under where your cutting and take your time if the steel starts to change colour you have messed the heat treat up , this doesn't matter to much on the spine but does on your cutting edge.
A good book for this kind of project is Wayne Goddard`s $50 Knife Shop, ISBN: 0-87341-993-6 You could also have a look over on BritishBlades forum
good luck with the project

mariobab

Tenderfoot
Oct 30, 2006
croatia
I made ulu out of circular saw,annealing was the longest part.Other annealed half is yet to be shaped in ulu.

SteveW

Forager
Dec 10, 2006
Launceston,Cornwall
I have cut a knife from an old stone cutter blade. The stone-blade was annealed first to make the cutting out and shaping easier, the plan is to re-temper the blade once I have a small forge sorted.

NatG

Settler
Apr 4, 2007
Southend On Sea
That's a great wee knife Hoodoo- a few questions- how did you drill the holes? my drill bits just don't seem up to it, also do you find that with the shorter length the blade flexes less? i have a problem in that the blades imake are too flexible to be really useful in any size above about 2 and a hlaf inches

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That's a great wee knife Hoodoo- a few questions- how did you drill the holes? my drill bits just don't seem up to it, also do you find that with the shorter length the blade flexes less? i have a problem in that the blades imake are too flexible to be really useful in any size above about 2 and a hlaf inches

I used a carbide drill bit to cut the holes.

These knives are not for heavy work where you will use a lot of lateral pressure. More for butchering, filleting, chopping veges, sewing, cutting cardboard, leather, etc. utility type stuff. I have a whole bunch of sawblade tools made by Maynard Linder from Alaska. Hunting knives, ulus, butchers. All great.

Here's a couple sawblade knives from Maynard.

maynard5c.jpg

linderskinner2c.jpg

One of his ulus.

Nunivak ulu3c.jpg

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
That's a superb knife in its own right. I love it!

An easy way to get started on the reclaimed steel route is to make a small sized ulu from an old paint scraper. Use paper based masking tape to cover the edge, draw on a curve, and then just patiently work away at the line with a dremel, cut off the handle, slot a piece of wood (tree branch) and epoxy it on.

My first effort is here..

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58594

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
That's a superb knife in its own right. I love it!

An easy way to get started on the reclaimed steel route is to make a small sized ulu from an old paint scraper. Use paper based masking tape to cover the edge, draw on a curve, and then just patiently work away at the line with a dremel, cut off the handle, slot a piece of wood (tree branch) and epoxy it on.

My first effort is here..

http://www.britishblades.com/forums/showthread.php?t=58594

That ulu came out sweet! Nice work!

I bought a knife made from a paint scraper for a couple dollars at an antique store. Was planning on using it as a model to make one myself but all the scrapers I find nowadays just don't have the classy wooden handle this one does. Most of them are plastic. I've been looking for old ones at antique stores and flea markets but so far, no luck.

putty_knife1b.jpg

Ozhaggishead

Nomad
Dec 8, 2007
Sydney
www.flickr.com
I like that scraper knife hoodoo nice find.If I see a nice old wooden handle scraper I give you a call mate.His kind of reminds me of small axe made out from a hammer that my dad made years ago when he worked in a shipyard in glasgow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE