Knife wanted for trade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gobbiner

Feb 2, 2014
RHUBARB CIRCLE
Ok here i have a Rams horn thumbstick, on a hazel shank 48 inches to thumb rest, as before im after a decent Knife and will be willing to post the stick thank you:)

Last edited:

gobbiner

Feb 2, 2014
RHUBARB CIRCLE
That's a very nice looking stick, do you know what sort of knife you'd be after?
Hi yes id like one like these id be using it for getting Hazel sticks thank you
1286225683cud202Na.jpg

1286226292cud203La.jpg

Last edited:

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Sorry if i didnt make myself clear, i want a knife for taking of the side shoots of hazel sticks, not cutting them:)

You're cutting side shoots with the knife and as Toddy said, your choice is somewhat unusual for that task but end of the day it's down to personal preference and choice :)

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
I certainly wouldn't go for a hollow grind knife for anything to do with wood.

Quite literally any other knife would be far more suited to working with hazel. Even a pen knife with a thin blade would suit you better than a crocodile chopper.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
You didn't buy the wrongun mate, just something a little different for the job.

Sadly I don't have any knives that I'd deem suitable to trade with you but I'd recommend something light weight, aboutb7 inches blade and with a thin flat grind. That way it'll be good for whipping with the wrist to take out those pesky shoots and stuff!

If I were you I'd probably make one from an old wood saw blade. This can be done with a dremel tool and a file.

If you want to spend money, try something like an 'old hickory butchers knife' they are kinda thin, carbon steal, simple and front heavy! I have one in the kitchen and it might be good for your hazel. I paid a tennerfor mine and its a nice blade.

Failing that, even a simple Mora knife will do a fine job if the shoots arent too fat.

gobbiner

Feb 2, 2014
RHUBARB CIRCLE
You didn't buy the wrongun mate, just something a little different for the job.

Sadly I don't have any knives that I'd deem suitable to trade with you but I'd recommend something light weight, aboutb7 inches blade and with a thin flat grind. That way it'll be good for whipping with the wrist to take out those pesky shoots and stuff!

If I were you I'd probably make one from an old wood saw blade. This can be done with a dremel tool and a file.

If you want to spend money, try something like an 'old hickory butchers knife' they are kinda thin, carbon steal, simple and front heavy! I have one in the kitchen and it might be good for your hazel. I paid a tennerfor mine and its a nice blade.

Failing that, even a simple Mora knife will do a fine job if the shoots arent too fat.
Thank you for the advice friend ill consider a Mora, is it possible i could take the knife to a small engineering shop, and have it grinded to suit:confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE