Knife stuff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
Ok, so im looking to get a kinfe. ive seen the ones getting sold on here for the prices...then i look on ebay. I search for things such as survival knife and get many choices.

Now to my amature eye they look pretty impressive at amazing prices, but surely being so cheap there has got to be something about them thats not good atall?

Take this one for example http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Survival-Knif...4QQihZ007QQcategoryZ20272QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mean looking, survival kit and sounds like it would do what i would want it to do...why so cheap?

Regards, Bunn

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
for the price, i guess its not too bad, but the quality wont be up to much.....

For the same price, i would rather have a Mora, and just make a small survival kit in a pouch/baccy tin.

I've seen a few of these knife up close, and i've not been impressed.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
Agreed, the Mora would be a far far better choice. I use mine for food prep, carving, batonning etc.

Bunnerz

Tenderfoot
Jul 8, 2006
Bedfordshire
sweet, it looks pretty compact too. quite a bit of usage if i take car? i hear things like potatoes are bad things to cut as the startch or somethin damages the blade? with this knife would i be able to strike sparks with it or is it not really made for that?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I had to square the spine off slightly to make it really good, but it did work well without doing that. If you get the carbon blade, the steel will be affected by all sorts of things, tannin in the wood you carve will turn the blade purple! I have patinaed my blade by putting it into a solution of white vinegar as this supposedly helps protect the blade from rust. It hasn't rusted yet, but then it has been a dry summer so far!!!

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
The frost Mora or Clipper is the knive that a vast majority of bushcrafters started on, some bushcraft schools hand them out to their students and and I know Ed still uses one routinely because his students thinks a fancy knife gives him an advantage (resisted urge to say edge).

You won't go far wrong with one but don't pay more than about £9-10.

Mr_Yarrow

Forager
May 16, 2005
UK, Hertfordshire
Really cant argue with ANY of the advice youve been given so far. I have a Mora and its a great little knife, I dont really use it as I have other more expensive ones (20 time more), they dont do much more, I just like the looks a bit more :D

What people havent really said is whay NOT to buy the other one in particular. A fe things about that style of knife;

1) This is from the listing - 'This item is fully intended for decoration and collector purpose' - to me that says its a great paperweight but a rubbish knife = beware!

2) Most of these knives with the hollow handle attach the blade with a bolt in the handle base and a piece of threaded bar welded onto the handle end of the blade. This means that when cutting, the handle could literally snap off the blade. Also if you are doing wood work or heavy work and the blade twists the handle can literally come off.

Wlecome to BCUK and im glad you asked the question before buying the first knife as I genuinely think youd regret it very soon afterwards.

If you have any other specific blade/knife related question, including how to make your own, then have a look at www.britishblades.com/forums its closely linked with BCUK and many of us are members of both forums.

Rgds

beowolf762

Settler
Sep 4, 2005
U.P. Michigan
I would have to agree, the Mora is the way to go. The weak link in hollow handle knives is the joint between the blade and the handle. Hollow handle knives with strong joints are available, but they are expensive,due to the extra work involved.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
As a very wise person once said, the best thing to put in a hollow handle is a handle!!

A good thing you found the site, you will always get told to go for the mora here, especially for a first knife. Don't forget that you will have to sharpen it, so it is a good knife to learn with due to the fact that the bevel is big enough for you to lay it flat on the stone. This eradicates a lot of guess work on your behalf, you just continue using the bevel already put there. Eventually you will want a more expensive and nicer looking knife, but until you do, these are the best fixed blades to buy.

Also, if you totally cock up on the sharpening, it's cost you under a tenner. Some people treat them literally as a throw away knife, but I would never do that. Look after it and it will outlive you! If you want to oil the blade before stowing it to prevent rust, consider using olive oil as it is edible and will not taint your food. The sheaths are pretty crap, but you can pick up leather versions hand made on ebay, and hopefully soon, here in the shop.

Check out British Blades for more knife related info, although I believe you now have to be eighteen to join the site, I didn't check to see how old you are though :eek:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE